National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a converted liberal, and was scared of guns. I'm not scared any longer and I have absolute use and need for something in home protection. I'm currently deciding between several candidates.

I'm doing a lot of research and looking around and I realize why now it's a sport and not just a bunch of yahoos ready to kill someone.

Glad to be a part of the forum.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,930 Posts
Welcome and congrats on seeing the light.

and I have absolute use and need for something in home protection
Tell us more about this.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Greetings And Welcome To The Forum

Howdy, glad to hear but always remember safety first. Take safety classes and get up to speed on proper handling procedures.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
welcome........the more time and hands-on you spend......the more you can go beyond the "sport" label....

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
Welcome from NW Iowa! As has already been suggested, you can never learn too much about handling and safety.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,007 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome and congrats on seeing the light.

Tell us more about this.
I got a divorce and moved into an "active" neighborhood for one. But I've also received specific messages from a former mutual friend who ended up scamming my wife out of a significant amount of money. The relationship broke down and he's stated that he no longer wants to be her friend along with some alarming aggressive messages that have caused me to be worried. He also is close with my new apartment building owner and I believe that he has a key or potential copy to my apartment.

Besides that? I also decided that I just wanted to be in control and then I wasn't going to let something happen to me if I could avoid it... which has been the result of changing my thinking over many months.

Reasonable person, just trying to be smart.

Should I start a new Thread about what I've been looking at and learned or should I continue that here?

Also thank you everyone for the welcome messages!

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,930 Posts
Great that you are taking responsibility for your safety. Like the saying goes... "When seconds count, the police are minutes away"

Should I start a new Thread about what I've been looking at and learned or should I continue that here?

Yessum. Lots of knowledgeable folks here willing to help. Heres a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
5,976 Posts
Welcome from NJ! Don’t stop at home/self protection. Try sporting clays. Try pistol IDPA or Bullseye shooting. Long Range rifle is getting bigger every day. If you like the old west try Cowboy Action shooting. Go to a club or range and they’ll point you in the right direction. It’s a lot bigger and better than just having a home protection gun.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Without going too deep, best advice I can give right now for your situation is to keep the receipts, which is to say, save your messages. Something that seems inconsequential now could make all the difference for defending your innocence in the aftermath if something does happen.

EDIT: On that note, concealed carry/self defense insurance may be worth considering. I have a USCCA Platinum membership, but there are others out there, make sure to research them all and pick what's best for you.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Agreed on the carry insurance. My family has US Law shield. We have the attorney coverage for criminal and for civil law suites. And bail coverage if needed.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I've also received specific messages from a former mutual friend who ended up scamming my wife out of a significant amount of money. The relationship broke down and he's stated that he no longer wants to be her friend along with some alarming aggressive messages that have caused me to be worried. He also is close with my new apartment building owner and I believe that he has a key or potential copy to my apartment.
It sounds like you should move, and/or report this to the police. Owning a gun, at this point, may be a bad idea. Buy a can of wasp nest spray. Very effective, and will keep you out of prison.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You must get trained in gun handling and safety.
That is priority one. You can't just get a gun, go to the range a couple of times and think you are good to go to defend yourself.
I would definitely let the local authorities know of your situation.
Are there no other apartments that are not owned by friends of the guy that may wish you harm?
If so, that would be a priority to me is to move. Good way to show that you are trying to avoid confrontation in case you wind up in court.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Welcome from California. You wouldn’t happen to be JP?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,357 Posts
Welcome from NC!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky. Read a lot of warnings without a safety class Eh? do not know anything on that I do Suggest even if just a one on one proper instruction and directions.been at a few Ranges where there was instructions with pistol rentals.Double plus free instruction and rent what your looking to purchase...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts