National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Last Stand on Earth
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About time to start a new thread. That last one is getting a little long in the tooth. Question on Berry’s plated bullets in revolvers. The .45 Colt and .357 bullets have no cannelure for a roll crimp. They say not to break through the plating when crimping but that’s a bit difficult to do considering how thin plating actually is. Has anyone tried a taper crimp from a .45 ACP and maybe a .357 Sig? Would it be enough under .357 magnum or 45 Colt-Ruger only loads?

· Registered
17,547 Posts
I have used them a few times here and there. What i did was put a light roll on them just so they drop in a cylinder/chamber smoothly. If you load them on the warm to hot side you might get bullet creep in a revolver or set back in a lever. Probably more so on the .357 than the 45 colt but again it will depend on the load. I pretty much try to avoid them for revolver calibers but i still have some on the shelf i need to load at some point. I prefer them for semi auto's. I've never tried to taper crimp them either.

· Live Free
4,516 Posts
You might have success with light loads, but if you stoke em up hot you will likely experience bullet creep with a taper crimp. The heavier the bullet the more potential to creep. The hotter the load the more potential to creep. Attempting to roll crimp will deform the bullet and damage the plating. Why not simply use proper bullets and save the Berry’s for semi’s?

· Last Stand on Earth
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may just keep them for the cowboy loads. The taper seems to work just fine for 45acp from my Blackhawk and there is a .357 convertible for 9mm, so we know it should be fine up to those recoils. There’s only 20 grains difference between the 45acp and the 45 Colt. The gap is bigger with.357 mag and 9mm but I can load .38 special within that realm. I was curious if anyone had used a taper with hotter loads. Thanks for the feedback guys.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It seems my worrying about a lack of cannelure is unfounded. One of the cases bent when crimping (it wasn’t aligned) and had to pull it. The roll crimp isn’t cutting through the copper plating, it’s just creating a cannelure. Good plating.

kinetic bullet puller wouldn’t budge it. I had to use 2 sets of pliers and twist it out.

Finger Ring Brass Metal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.