National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am reading through the FBI statistics on NICS background checks and at the end of October, we are already over 32 million. If this trajectory stays strong, we will be at 38 million by December 31st, smashing last year’s numbers by roughly 10 million. Last year came in at 28.3 million.

To put that in perspective, the largest year over year increase since 1998 was in 2016 when it jumped 4.4 million, going from 23.1 million to 27.5 million, then fell to the following year to 25.2 million.

The gap between last year’s numbers and this year’s will be about the entire cumulative year’s total of background checks in 2006 and more any year’s total prior to 2006.

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Good year indeed for the gun shops and factory's.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Of those checks, I wonder how many were approved or rejected?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am reading through the FBI statistics on NCIS background checks and at the end of October, we are already over 32 million. If this trajectory stays strong, we will be at 38 million by December 31st, smashing last year’s numbers by roughly 10 million. Last year came in at 28.3 million.

To put that in perspective, the largest year over year increase since 1998 was in 2016 when it jumped 4.4 million, going from 23.1 million to 27.5 million, then fell to the following year to 25.2 million.

The gap between last year’s numbers and this year’s will be about the entire cumulative year’s total of background checks in 2006 and more any year’s total prior to 2006.
I didn't know NCIS (the Navy Criminal Investigative Service) did background checks. I wonder if Agent Gibbs does any himself.

Maybe you mean NICS.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
wondering how that would break down into first time gun buyers.........2nd time buyers finally getting motivated........or general gun nuts like us?

and those are still not the true total numbers passing thru the FFL's........in some States like Texas, there is no background check if you present your carry license......you complete the 4473, cash and carry......and done. Those numbers are also significant in sales and go unreported to nics.......just what those numbers are....who knows....

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
13,548 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Problem is i think many people on the "other side" have been buying.
They have. The good news is, many of them, at least the ones I know, are very clueless about guns and how to use them. I have seen some at the range and the ones that have rifles can't zero them. Mostly close at 25 yards and call it good. Yesterday I saw 0ne trying to zero his .308 AR at 50. He wasn't doing very good at it. Most are watching the youtube divas and think they know everything they need to know.
One guy, after telling me what he had and shooting 8"groups at 50yards, ask me who would dare shoot back when he had such a powerful rifle? I was shooting .17hmr at 100 yards. I smiled and handed him one of my targets and told him, people like me.
The look on his face was priceless.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
They have. The good news is, many of them, at least the ones I know, are very clueless about guns and how to use them. I have seen some at the range and the ones that have rifles can't zero them. Mostly close at 25 yards and call it good. Yesterday I saw 0ne trying to zero his .308 AR at 50. He wasn't doing very good at it. Most are watching the youtube divas and think they know everything they need to know.
One guy, after telling me what he had and shooting 8"groups at 50yards, ask me who would dare shoot back when he had such a powerful rifle? I was shooting .17hmr at 100 yards. I smiled and handed him one of my targets and told him, people like me.
The look on his face was priceless.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
maybe there is some merit for the left when sleepy joe stated his fondness for a sxs shotgun....increased hit potential since they can't group and are shooting patterns........oh well, i am sure the armed left will be surrendering those ar10's as soon as joe says so........... :LOL:

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
I’d prefer to up against one of those new shooters with an AR10 with my AR15 anytime. Sending big bullets down a 50 yard range doesn’t mean diddly compared to putting every bullet in a very tiny target at 200 yards.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the fact is that many are first time owners. The “other side” is mostly in urban concentrations and because of all the lockdowns, I’m sure many have never even fired them. I know one in the Chicago area (on our side) that bought his first during the beginning of the rona lockdowns and it’s November and he’s never gotten to take it to a range yet.

Good news is, people who have never fired a gun before aren’t coming after you. They bought them to protect themselves and their families from their own side. The ones you need to watch are the wanna be gangbangers and lunatics that already had guns.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
the angle they are now pushing is an "epidemic" of suicide by the snowflakes that are now armed and depressed due to covid......

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, sorry but I don’t buy into that crap. I am sure most gun owners on this side of the isle don’t either. Suicide is a deep rooted mental state anxiety, heavily attributed to social unacceptance, not fitting in and inability to identify ones self worth. Being cutoff from social interaction with peers may worsen a problem that already exists, it’s not the cause.

I do feel for the families that lose young ones to suicide. It’s a horrible place to be to not recognize what’s coming or to know and be unable to reach them on a meaningful level.

The lefts preaching about how the world doesn’t accept people who are different is a much bigger issue that more than likely impacts young people much more than lack of social interaction. Having lived in 45 places before the age of 18, I can tell you from experience, being cutoff from friends and peers is not the problem. I am quite sure that my 3 siblings who shared that childhood would agree. We quite literally spent the vast majority of our childhoods with only each other.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Strength in numbers
since probably a good number of these new owners are liberals......its more of a matter of the weakest link....
they are not converts, allies, or assets...just buying a gun does not make them a 2a supporter.....they are just scared and probably still willing to make "common sense" restrictions on the rest of us...when they vote republican, then i will believe them....sadly i do not see a red wave indicator for the future based on gun purchases....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts