National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An older friend of mine had a gun that I had shot with him many times.
Before he died I tried to buy it from him but he would not sell it.
Much to my surprise after his death his son delivered the gun to me as a gift at the death bed request of his father.
He purchased the gun, a Model 17 Smith and Wesson in .22 cal with the 6" barrel in 1951 new. No it's not perfect as it has some wear on the bluing and such from years of use. He used to carry this gun in a holster when he went hunting to play with.
But it remains one of the best shooting .22 caliber pistols that I have ever owned and I have had just a few more that I should have.
This one will be passed down to one of my kids as I have already given them several of my guns.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Very accurate revolvers! Keep that in the family it will go up in value! :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to buy and sell guns all the time. I have sold many that I wish I had now.
Now I only buy and the only ones I have rid myself of went to one of the kids.
I keep only what I shoot today. I am not a collector that just wants to look at them or save them to sell to someone else at a profit.
Like Jay Leno says with his car collection. If you can't use them what's the point in having them. But them again he has the money to restore anything he owns from the ground up.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Wow, Ken, that's a gun story that'll choke up an ole' fart like me, for sure! I have a Mod 18 real similar to yours and almost as old, and she's a sweetheart to shoot at the range or at the bunnies. But NO WAY can my gun hold up to yours, just given the great story that goes with yours.

Your buddy will rest in peace as he should. His gun will be cared for and not end up in a pawn shop or anything like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts