National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on getting a gun for christmas , i'm 15, and i have a Marlin .22 lever-action , Remington Nylon 66, and a Phoenix Arms .22LR pistol. I need some help deciding on a gun to get. I am fairly small so length and weight are a rather large factor.
It needs to be under $300 and pretty small and have a fairly light kick. Ive shot a .410 and it was just about right at the kick level I am comfortable with, but the more popular choice seems to be a .20 gauge but I am worried the .20 might be a little too powerful. I want either a pump shotgun or a small caliber rifle as i want to step up from the .22 . Any help deciding will be much appreciated, Thanks

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
In a rifle you could always look at the H&R single shots. They are nice little guns for the money and can be had in a variety of chambering that would suit you.
A 410 is a nice gun but the 20 gauge will be a lot more versatile. You don't have to put heavy loads in the 20 if you don't want to. It won't recoil too bad with light field loads. Then as you grow into it, you can step up the loads for duck or deer.

You didn't specify what purpose the gun was for other than having it so that is about all I can say for right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks , yeah i forgot to put that i would have it for some bird , squirrel, and a little deer hunting. What do you think of the Remington 870 20 gauge express compact?
Or one of the mossberg pump .20's?

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Damn, weatherby beat me to it. For your budget and all that I can't really think of anyhting better than one of the H&R single shots. Great for hunting, sporting, nice and compact, very easy to handle. I would say hold off on the pumps until your stepping up to the 12 gauge, but thats just my personal opion. Let me know if your looking more for a rifle or a shotgun though. heres a perfect 20 ga for you http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=sb1%2D258

and heres a perfect rifle http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...t=2&type=All&cal=All&fin=All&sit=All&pid=&inv=

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.