National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the next big thing for the Military?
Bunker Busting Nuclear Weapons?
Remote Robots?
Robot Suits for Infantry?
m16 replacements?
the F35 Raptor?

Whats the next big thing that will change the military forever?

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
I'm not military, but it is my understanding that adaptive camouflage is becoming more feasible. I think that if it is implemented, it would have a profound effect on war-fighting capabilities.

G

·
Robotic fighters and bombers.
Ships that pop above the waterline to fight.
Weapons that make facilities uninhabitable.
Airspace dominance from space

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
My money is on small unit leader controlled UAVs. Well we already have those, but none where the small unit leader can view the data that comes across. There are systems in development right now that will allow the warfighter to not only control the UAV but see what it sees while he is in the fight.

Think GRAW 2 well kind of.

Mil R&D is busy as hell right now and there are tons of new programs that are actually viable. But we will have to wait to talk about those.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I think if the Cold War starts heating up again, then it will be something along the lines of the 'ballistic missle shield' or something in space to shoot down incoming ICBM's.....Anyone with more info or ideas on that?

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I think if the Cold War starts heating up again, then it will be something along the lines of the 'ballistic missle shield' or something in space to shoot down incoming ICBM's.....Anyone with more info or ideas on that?
Not if Obama gets into office.

They have been working through the planning and logistics process of this for years. But of course, the Dems do not want weapons in space. Says it makes us look too aggressive, and they say it is too dangerous.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Not if Obama gets into office.

They have been working through the planning and logistics process of this for years. But of course, the Dems do not want weapons in space. Says it makes us look too aggressive, and they say it is too dangerous.
Agreed...but its been 20+ years since anyone was really worried about nuclear war w/Russia. Do you think a strong Russian presence in Cuba or Venezuela will push these programs again?

I thought Obama pissed his pants recently when things with Iran / Russia / Georgia started to get a little nervy...in fact, thats why I thought he picked Biden was because his own lack of foreign policy experience exposed him as being unprepared (not that Biden is, but name a Dem that would be).

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Agreed...but its been 20+ years since anyone was really worried about nuclear war w/Russia. Do you think a strong Russian presence in Cuba or Venezuela will push these programs again?
That depends solely on who is in office next. Russia has been making powerplays for a good bit now, and they are attempting to regain their status in the world. We will see what happens next.

I thought Obama pissed his pants recently when things with Iran / Russia / Georgia started to get a little nervy...in fact, thats why I thought he picked Biden was because his own lack of foreign policy experience exposed him as being unprepared (not that Biden is, but name a Dem that would be).
Ya know I was kind of thinking the same thing.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I hope this doesn't look like thread hijack, but I think its related to this topic: What role do you see the CIA doing under McCain or Slobama?

I suppose new 'big things' in spying are kept pretty quiet aren't they? Or at least supposed to be kept quiet.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I hope this doesn't look like thread hijack, but I think its related to this topic: What role do you see the CIA doing under McCain or Slobama?

I suppose new 'big things' in spying are kept pretty quiet aren't they? Or at least supposed to be kept quiet.
LOL I honestly don't know what they are doing now. Im just a dumb grunt.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
LOL I honestly don't know what they are doing now. Im just a dumb grunt.
Is the Stryker everything they wanted it to be?

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
The Striker is a POS. No v-shaped hull, under armed and a few other problems.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Ok, let's pretend; Iran gets the nukes they want, Russia does more than piss off their neighbors and Putin tries to regain control of their neighbors, and Chavez gets to play with his oil, and lets not forget those feisty little Koreans or Chinese. What do we do then? Start nuking those countries; slap the hands of the guys in charge, call them bad names?
I agree it depends on who gets elected.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Ok, let's pretend; Iran gets the nukes they want, Russia does more than piss off their neighbors and Putin tries to regain control of their neighbors, and Chavez gets to play with his oil, and lets not forget those feisty little Koreans or Chinese. What do we do then? Start nuking those countries; slap the hands of the guys in charge, call them bad names?
I agree it depends on who gets elected.
Umm, pray that they don't decided to make a move elsewhere in the world!

Iran would be kind of self correcting because of Israel. If Israel decided to strike, then we would be obligated to help. I don't know much about Venezuela but will read up on it.

I would not worry too much about Korea right now. They have been saber rattling for what? sixty some years. But threat posture would go up along the DMZ.

If Russia continues with the powerplays we will either rally the other C7 to stop them. But they will choose not to help. We would not go in without help from others, so NATO will sanction the crap out of them, until they attack one of the C7.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
If Russia continues with the powerplays we will either rally the other C7 to stop them. But they will choose not to help. We would not go in without help from others, so NATO will sanction the crap out of them, until they attack one of the C7.
You bring up an interesting point; if Russia does some provoking...which countries buck up and stand with us? Britian? Australia? I know the French are generally worthless...does their new President have more balls than the last one though?

Back on the thread topic, I have heard something about a device that causes power/electrical failures at whatever it is aimed at? Anyone know what that is?

One more...this new 'predator'...can't remember what they call it...carries 8 hellfires and 2 500 Lbs bombs? Sounds like bad news for Al Queda. I always thought they shoud make a drone that carried a 20mm Vulcan instead of the hellfires for individual targets....any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I watch the military channel, which has a lot of interesting stuff, and some really tight bums, :biggrin5: (oh sorry). What I have seen is they're working on everything from water to sonar to laser to some really nasty rounds of ammunition; bunker buster bombs and guided weapons being some of the scariest of them I know that a lot of the stuff they profile is still in the testing stages and are not ready for military or civilian use.

This country has lost a lot of credibility with quite a few countries around the world. We have to stay on top of everything all the time while watching who is coming in and going out the back door.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I watch the military channel, which has a lot of interesting stuff, and some really tight bums, :biggrin5: (oh sorry). What I have seen is they're working on everything from water to sonar to laser to some really nasty rounds of ammunition; bunker buster bombs and guided weapons being some of the scariest of them I know that a lot of the stuff they profile is still in the testing stages and are not ready for military or civilian use.

This country has lost a lot of credibility with quite a few countries around the world. We have to stay on top of everything all the time while watching who is coming in and going out the back door.

You shouldn't be talking about tight bums and back doors in the same post. You may scare some people.......

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
You shouldn't be talking about tight bums and back doors in the same post. You may scare some people.......
Or she may excite some people.

Im just sayin...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts