National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I respect peoples with chronic back pain. Last Monday I was dong my normal day workout all went well I was happy with it, went to the bathroom and without getting into the details I went to grab my pants around my ankles and it was as if someone broke me in two, couldn't breathe couldn't get up I was in excruciating pain it took what seems to be 10 minutes with the help of the bathroom wall and a LOT of swearing to get back into a semi straight position and I had to go back up a flight of stairs. Long story short-er i'm just starting to walk normally again (Friday) with knife stabs in my lower back once in a while strong enough to make my knees jerk. All I can take for it is Tylenol and hot showers because of my health issues but it's a lot better now.

Holy Sh** I can't imagine how you guys who have this pain all year round cope with it, Hats off to your courage .

·
Aim true !
10,030 Posts
I feel for you. The other day it felt like my back locked up. Then today organizing my loading bench pulled something right mid side of my back. Im going to get an adjustable work stool for reloading. Im using an office chair now.

Reactions: Kobs

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Sorry to hear it Kobs. I can't remember the "first" time I got crippled by moving a certain way. Was it when I was painting the kitchen, or was it the time.....etc. Sucks when one simple move can put you down.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have had chronic back pain for over 35 years. Every other joint as well. Chiropractor told me in 1987 that I would be in a wheel chair by 2000. Still walking. Most days though, I have to pus myself out of bed with a cane.
You get used to it. It becomes your friend.
It's telling you that you are still alive.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Live Free
2,799 Posts
I feel for you Kobs. Pain like that can really overwhelm. My wife lives with daily pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia. She endures a lot...hurts me because of her pain.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I got smacked by a cart as a 19 yo kid; and there were a few instances over the years when I REALLY tweaked my back by twisting and lifting. Every now and again I twist wrong, lean wrong or similar and POW; that shooting pang happens..........for ME after a hot pulsing shower on the lower back, if it isn't better, it is a Flexeril and or a Tramadol and time to go to bed........

Reactions: Kobs and Viper123

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
I’ve been dealing with a lower back pain shooting to my knees for the last two months. I need two Aleve just to function. I never really had back pain in my life. It sucks. Sorry to hear it Kobs.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Sorry to hear you joined the club no one wants to belong too. Both my wife and I belong to it.
Same at this home.

My 2 cents = Get thy self to a good Chiropractor.
With the plague raging everywhere but at riots, it may be difficult to book one at this time.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,932 Posts
I’ve been dealing with a lower back pain shooting to my knees for the last two months. I need two Aleve just to function. I never really had back pain in my life. It sucks. Sorry to hear it Kobs.

I had lower back pain and had trouble walking and sitting. I went to a good chiropractor, who made a few adjustments to my upper back, and magically the pain in my lower back went away.

I good chiropractor is worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Chiropractor can be a life saver. A good one a real miracle.
One thing that I have found that helps is a good quality pair of shoes.
Flat sandals, a quality pair of Roper boots or properly fitting Merrell shoes is the difference between annoying pain and excruciating pain. A few days with poor footwear and I can't walk at all.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hot showers seems to help, I'd give anything to be able to talk to my doc for some dilaudid (Hydromorphone), unfortunately by the time I get an appointment (hoping) the pain will be gone.
Got myself one of those rubber belts with velcro attachment, it's not bad with heating cream under. I'm able to do more and more stuff every day like sitting without gripping my thighs, now i'm just leaning on them lol. I'm sitting at my computer with less pain than I had yesterday (maybe because it's only 7:00)
The way it's going i give it another 4 to 6 days before it's just another bad memory... counting...

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I feel your pain...literally. I've had back problems for year and last year had surgery when i got so bad i couldn't sit unless in a recliner and couldn't even sleep in my bed anymore. even after the surgery i still have some pain and probably always will but for the most part it's manageable.
I want to warn you on the heat though. from what i have been told rule of thumb is use ice early on in the injury and then heat after a week or so. The heat may make it feel better but may make it worse in the long run because it inflames the problem so you go through a cycle of pain, use heat for relief and the pain comes back sometimes worse and then you go through this cycle of pain and relief until the problem gets worse. Walking is good, sitting is bad, bending and lifting is bad, sleeping on a couch or crappy mattress is really bad. Stretching the right way is very good. Youtube has tons of videos on proper back stretches. Chiropractors....well I'm not sure. For years i was told to use them or to never use them depending on who you talk to. Last year when mine was getting bad i finally decided to go. Was feeling better each time(went about 6-8 times) and then boom i was done and had to get surgery because the pain was so bad and i could barely move.
I really hope you can get it back to normal, it really sucks living with pain every day even when it's mild.

·
Jesus Saves
7,797 Posts
Recently I went for therapy on my shoulder and they warned me NOT to use heat but rather ice packs.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Hot showers seems to help, I'd give anything to be able to talk to my doc for some dilaudid (Hydromorphone), unfortunately by the time I get an appointment (hoping) the pain will be gone.
Got myself one of those rubber belts with velcro attachment, it's not bad with heating cream under. I'm able to do more and more stuff every day like sitting without gripping my thighs, now i'm just leaning on them lol. I'm sitting at my computer with less pain than I had yesterday (maybe because it's only 7:00)
The way it's going i give it another 4 to 6 days before it's just another bad memory... counting...
If you blew a disc, then a few days ain't going to cut it. I've been down for 3-4 months after an episode. Oh, and I really like dilaudid. I made a trip to the ER once when it went boing real bad, they gave me dilaudid, made me feel real good:), I also like demerol, makes me feel real good too!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If you blew a disc, then a few days ain't going to cut it. I've been down for 3-4 months after an episode. Oh, and I really like dilaudid. I made a trip to the ER once when it went boing real bad, they gave me dilaudid, made me feel real good:), I also like demerol, makes me feel real good too!
I have both of those several times and multiple doses on occasion along with morphine and fentanyl as well. Sometimes it sent me to lala land but a few times it barely touched the pain.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Recently I went for therapy on my shoulder and they warned me NOT to use heat but rather ice packs.
Heat for stiffness and cramps, ice for swelling and inflammation, that's what I've always been taught. I have chronic knee pain from my time in the Navy, ice usually helps when that acts up. Heat worked better to help with recovery when I pulled a muscle in my back.

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Registered
535 Posts
Use heat for muscle relaxation, cold packs for inflammation. Such as joints.
When I was younger, much younger, I was known to do things that today are considered suicidal. At one time or another, I have broke or severely damaged every joint in my body. I have steel plates and some disfigured joints do to my explouts. Some multiple times. Including my back.
The Chiropractor I had in the 1980s in Houston was one of the best. The first thing h did was take X-rays to see what the problems were to see if he could even help. Which he did tremendously. But it got to a point where he said the only thing left he could do was send me to a surgeon.
Most of my pain is due to deformed bones and joints from injuries. My back pain is permanent.
If you go to a Chiropractor, and they don't take x-rays to see what is wrong, LEAVE. Quickly. They can do more harm than good.
If your pain is caused by bad discs, a deformity, or arthritis there is only so much they can do. If you just pulled something out of place, they can be a tremendous help.
If you have the same recurring problem causing the pain, there is probably a cause that can be eliminated or controlled. For me, because of the damage I have, nothing will eliminate the pain. But certain shoes, certain excercises, watching my posture and how I lift things help to reduce the severity of the pain.
YMMV.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
We are fragile antiques and must treat ourselves as such.

Proper shoes, certain excercises, correct posture and lifting things with your legs... not with your back are very important.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts