National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am very new to firearms. I have fired a couple of pistols (.22, .357 both revolvers) in my youth, which was more than 30 yrs ago.
My wife and I want to buy a handgun or handguns for self defense.
We are both left handed.

Would it make more sense for us to keep things simple with a revolver (or revolvers) rather than having two inexperienced left-handed shooters fumbling around with a more complicated ACP style weapon?

Or since we are new to this, should we just learn how to shoot right-handed?

Thank you for your advice and consideration.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
That's exactly what I did (learn to shoot right hand) not the easiest way mind you but i'm glad I did cause now I can shoot great with both hands and I think it's a plus.
My first handgun was a Sig Sauer P226 9mm I really fell in love with it and I just had to shoot it the way it was designed to be shot (decocker and stuff) so I learned, shot thousands of rounds with my right hand (not in the same day loll)
If you're willing to learn and put effort into it you will get it. you shoot like sh** at first but you get better and better

EDIT: 50% is in the grip, watch videos learn how to have total control of your firearm it has to become the extension of your hand like if the barrel was your index, Dry fire a lot, learn how to acquire your sight on the target fast. Speed isn't important but it has to become muscle (eye) memory. squeezing the trigger is also crucial, learn how to press the trigger not jerk it

Reactions: Popeye

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,923 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

There's nothing wrong with revolvers.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum

Since you brought it up let me ask since you are both left handed what is your master or dominant eye?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I'm left handed too. I agree with Kobs, learn right handed. It does take awhile, but
it's worth it. I shoot pistol righty, and rifle, shotgun lefty. Popeye hit it on the head
too, nothing wrong with wheel guns. Your preference. Just for the record, I'm left
eye dominant. But I'm one of those guys that closes one eye. Some say you should
keep both open, but that doesn't work for me. Stick with what works. I can hold my
own with one eye closed to a person that keeps both open. As I said if it works, stick
to it and practice, practice and practice some more.

Welcome from south east PA by the way, glad to have you.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
strictly LH only 1911 autos are far and dang few........and expensive. Cabot comes to mind but they are over 4 grand.

as a lefty, i would say just continue to do what all of us lefties have had to do over the decades......adapt yourself to the RH world and make the best of it. You can do some things like look for a handgun with an ambi safety as an example.....or have an ambi safety installed on a 1911.

there are some handguns that have more ambi or neutral features by their design. A sig _229 DAK as an example has a dao revolver style trigger and a reversible mag release for a lefty. same goes for a Glock Gen 4.

a CZ85 has ambi safety, ambi mag release, and ambi slide releases already on board.

the ejection port on the right side of a RH or neutral pistol never bothered me. Same thing with a RH remington 870, mossberg 500, or Winchester SXP pump action.. However, i have had some very bad experiences with RH ejection ports on some rifles.....any of the older Winchester 22 semi auto rifles will kick some blow-back into my face. Same thing goes tor a Marlin Camp Carbine. Last time i fired an old Marlin 60 it got me and stupidly i was not wearing glasses...lucky i did not damage my right eye but i sure felt it.....
An M16A1 issued to me years back....had to put on a deflector on that rifle just to be able to shoot it.....it hated LH folks. Nowadays, they have the deflector built into the M16 and the AR15's thank goodness.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm left eye dominant so I shoot lefty when it comes to a long gun. Like the others I have learned to shoot handguns righty.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
My one friend has an AR-10, I forget brand, that hates me. Shells eject
right on my forehead.

On the other hand we don't have any problems with our 2 AR-15's.
My wife is a lefty also.

Reactions: Artie1957

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
My one friend has an AR-10, I forget brand, that hates me. Shells eject
right on my forehead.

On the other hand we don't have any problems with our 2 AR-15's.
My wife is a lefty also.
Doug, you probably already know this but Rock River Arms and Stag Arms make left handed AR 15's. Of course they are more expensive than their right handed cousins.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Yeah Artie, I just can't see spending the extra money, since the right handed
ones are fine. Although, I would like to add one to my cabinet some day. I've
checked a few out, Stag was one I liked. Probably not in the near future since
I'm enjoying trap so much.

Every time I walk to my gun rack and cabinet I hear, Pick me, pick me", then
when I grab my O/U, I hear them all moan. I'm gonna have to start paying
them some attention.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I agree on the price point. Since a right handed AR15 has a shell deflector I just can't justify the added cost for a lefty.
I too have haven't been spreading the love either. Between the ARX, 22/45 and the M&P 40 the others are starting to give me the eye.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Hello, I am very new to firearms. I have fired a couple of pistols (.22, .357 both revolvers) in my youth, which was more than 30 yrs ago.
My wife and I want to buy a handgun or handguns for self defense.
We are both left handed.

Would it make more sense for us to keep things simple with a revolver (or revolvers) rather than having two inexperienced left-handed shooters fumbling around with a more complicated ACP style weapon?

Or since we are new to this, should we just learn how to shoot right-handed?

Thank you for your advice and consideration.
I am a left handed shooter and I can shoot right handed but I am very weak at it. None of my guns are left handed guns. Rather than trying to force yourself to shoot right handed learn to operate the controls of your fire arms with your left trigger finger.

This can be done at home with an unloaded gun or with a gun loaded with inert rounds or snap caps. So far the only semi auto I own that I can not completely control with my left trigger finger is my 1911. The part that defeats me is the safety. But My 1911 has an ambi safety so I operate that with my left thumb.

I think this is actually a safer way to shoot. When reloading for example you don't want your finger on the trigger. ( Rule #3 ) No problem there, mine is either on the mag release or on the slide latch leaver. By allowing the slide to slam home I avoid any possibility of a jam due to riding the slide. While it may seem abusive this is how the slide operates during normal firing.

This also allows you to keep a closer sight picture during a reload.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since you brought it up let me ask since you are both left handed what is your master or dominant eye?
Not sure on dominant eye. I fired .38 Revolver and Glock 17 Gen 4 yesterday. Was ok RH with 9mm, not as good with .38. It just felt wrong in my RH. The place I went was not very helpful to beginner shooters. Gonna try another soon.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Not sure on dominant eye. I fired .38 Revolver and Glock 17 Gen 4 yesterday. Was ok RH with 9mm, not as good with .38. It just felt wrong in my RH. The place I went was not very helpful to beginner shooters. Gonna try another soon.
This is the way I was shown on how to find out which eye is dominant-
Extend you hand out to arms length with a clinched fist and the thumb pointed up, use either hand. Now pick out a small object a few yards away. While looking at the object with BOTH eyes open line your thumb up on it. Now close ONE eye. If your thumb is on the object then the eye you have open is your dominant eye. If your thumb is off to the side then it is the other eye.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
To follow up on my question I would follow my dominant eye. Since you are left handed I am guessing that you are left eye dominant. If your left eye is dominant I would shoot lefty. You can retrain your hands but not your eyes. If you are left handed you already made adjustments your whole life to live in a right handed world so just add another thing to your list.

You can practice your weak side but I would concentrate my practice on my strong side. It's like any other skill that you practice for proficiency. If you split your practice you wont get as good as you could concentrating on one side. I do shoot with my off hand just for familiarity not proficiency.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
ah, I am left eye dominant. according to Artie1957's test.
Well that's settled then. I own a few lefty rifles and shotguns along with some righties as well. I have learned to shoot both types so, it doesn't effect me either way. I shoot a hand gun right handed and aim with my left eye and I more offten than not hit my target with small groups. "Aim small, miss small".

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
ah, I am left eye dominant. according to Artie1957's test.
I would now strongly recommend that you shoot left handed. Both rifle and pistol. Unless using optics (exception for low power optics) I would train with both eyes open. Using your left finger for all shooting will allow you to concentrate and train your left finger for a proper trigger pull. What is a proper trigger pull? That's a whole 'nuther topic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts