National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying my first handgun today. I really havent heard much bad about the Taurus PT1911, so I am thinking about going and picking one up today. Academy has them for $500, so I figured why not. Does anyone have any experience with the gun that can shed some light on the quality and if its a bad idea for a first gun? P.S. I will be using this for a fun, range gun. I will worry about getting a Compact gun for concealed carry later.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Can't really go wrong with a Ruger SR 1911. I don't know their exact price but if I were to buy my first 1911 and had a limited budget that would be it. Meaning if you're a bit short "wait" you will not regret it

Edit: You can even get the command size and carry it. 2 birds thing

Reactions: Speed

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I'll second the Rock Island opinion.

Rock Series: Rock Island Armory | Armscor International, Inc

Ruger and especially Springfield have nice options for only a little more money.

Don't forget to check out the used market as well. One of my local shops sells name brand, new "Display models", as used in the $700 range.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I would pass on the Taurus.. for lack of a better word, I find their 1911 janky... Plus their customer service gets an F from me.. Many issues with a 24/7 I had and it was like pulling teeth with them. I've got a couple of Taurus 357's that I like.. semi autos-no. I have shot the Taurus 1911 and taken down but do not own one.

I agree the Rock Island is a good option. All over Gunbroker. The Ruger SR are very nice, mine is stainless full size and it functions very well. Not sure if you're going to get one new in ur price range but checked the used.

·
Wyoming
4,251 Posts
If you are looking at a 10 MM the Rock Island is a real bargain. It is the only budget priced 1911 with a Ramped barrel. The RI has a fully supported chamber. Ruger and Colt are nice 1911 pistols but lack fully supported Ramped barrels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased a pt1911 as my first handgun and on paper it looks good for the price and has a lot of the features that most people find desirable such as a extended beaver tail, Novak sights, full-length guide rod, nice checkering/slide slide serrations, stainless barrel and ambi safety. However my biggest problem is its super picky with ammo. No problem's with American brass case ammo but I get a failure to eject every third mag or so with steel case.

If you just want a range toy and don't mind using brass cased ammo I think it'd be a fine choice.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,973 Posts
However my biggest problem is its super picky with ammo. No problem's with American brass case ammo but I get a failure to eject every third mag or so with steel case.
Stop using crap steel cased ammunition. Problem solved.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I have a Taurus 1911 and am very happy with it. I am a Taurus fan in general. They are well made guns at a low price and have a 100% unconditional lifetime warranty.

Other low price, high quality 1911's are Rock Island, Charles Daly, Remington although about $100 more than the others, Ruger also about $100 more than the others, you can find some of the low end Springfields under $600. There will be a ton of low cost 1911's that will work well.

Of the ones I have named, I feel Rock Island is the best deal as far as what you get for what you pay. If you shop around you can find them in the mid $400's and they are great guns.

·
Jesus Saves
8,389 Posts
Not being an expert by any means, I do read the opinions of others. That said, just about all guns are really cool. The problems comes shortly down the road when you decide to shoot them. Suddenly, all the things you read about become reality; in one way or another.

I prefer to take the advice of the majority so I do not have to experience certain realities and then have to kick myself in the backside. Although no one will really come out and say it (if and when that time comes), your conscious will remind you of it all the time.

Keep us posted own what you get......

The flip side is that some people never have any problems with Taurus - they are still producing guns so something must be ok?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would tend to recommend the Rock Island Armory product over Taurus and pretty much EVERYONE else.

RIA is currently building 1911's in .45ACP that work for a good price. At present I own six RIA 1911 "pattern" pistols in .45 ACP and .38 Super and not ONE has ever failed to feed, chamber, fire, and eject. That IS the bottom line when it comes to what we buy a fighting handgun to do.

I do own several Taurus handguns...including a PT-111 9mm that has also never missed a beat....so I can't specifically "diss" Taurus.

The "internet" really is NOT the place to go for advise on what you spend YOUR money on because it is filled with people who lie about a specific brand to further an agenda.

The best recommendation is to watch some YouTube videos and make your own mind up, however, having said that, MOST "name-brand" pistols work perfectly fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.