National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new. I apologize if this has been asked here already. I searched, but couldn't find the answer.

Two questions;

If I bring four rifles with me to the gun range, am I in violation of "265.02 - Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree." which seems to state that "A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree when: [...] Such person possesses three or more firearms [...] and such possession did not take place in the person's home [...] Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree is a class D felony." !!??

Also, it seems like if I own a total of 10 or more guns, I'm also in deep trouble: "265.04 - Criminal possession of a dangerous weapon in the first degree." which states " A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the first
degree when such person: [...] possesses ten or more firearms. Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree is a class B felony." !!??

I've never heard of these restrictions before. I know NYS is a pretty rough with the gun laws - but I can't own more than 10 rifles? That just doesn't seem like it is accurate... but, there it is in black and white. So, either I'm misreading the info, or I need to sell/trade to make room for new stuff if I'm limited to 10.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I answered my own question with some more Googling... "such person" refers to someone who is already in violation of "265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree."... which, anyone who is legally allowed to own the firearms in question is not.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Leave NY while you still can.
There are plenty of other states that are more friendly to human habitation.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Remember to get your permit to have a rifle and get it renewed every year...or is that just the city?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts