National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the gun world but I've done a fair amount of research and I'm pretty set on getting a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 sport .22 LR. .22 ammo is cheap , and I won't be hunting w the gun just mostly target shooting so it should be a good gun to learn on. Everywhere I've looked online it's got great reviews and plenty talking about it's reliability and easy to use and fun to shoot.
  1. I've found a few good deals on different websites but I'm looking for any input on deals for one or anything related and helpful. Even a different cheap assault rifle if you think differently. Thanks -Ryan

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,179 Posts
Welcome from NC!

FYI, don't call any AR/AK semi-auto rifle an assault rifle. Calling it an assault rifle is an incorrect terminology and simply feeds the Democrat's anti-gun propaganda narrative.

Reactions: Marylou

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I have one and it’s a good plinking gun. Not the tack driving , 100yard sure shot gun but it’s a good plinker. I’d rather you bought a Ruger 10/22. Marlin makes several great .22’s. The M&P is ok but you’ll just burn up lots of ammo and in the end you won’t be satisfied with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Welcome to The National Gun Forum!

·
Live Free
3,259 Posts
Ditto Mad Scientist, it is not an assault rifle. It is a reasonably good .22, but like Stamps suggested, you might be better served by another semi-auto .22, unless the AR look is what you really want...and it sounds like it is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Plinking/target....Ruger Mark series. Used Mark II, III's a good buy and the IV's outstanding, but not inexpensive.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to use the term 'semi auto rifle' from now on. And as far as the Rugers go I've noticed some for decent prices in my search but I didn't know how they tallied up when it came to quality and reliability. I do kinda prefer the AR look over most other looks.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
"Good buy" yes. Gun for a new person? NO. Stick with a new Mark IV. Trying to assemble the II or III will have him sour on guns in general.
I think he’s only looking at rifles. You can’t find a better pistol than the Mark series fir sure.
Ruger builds very good guns for the money. The 10/22 is the most popular semi auto rifle being made today. The accessories are endless. From target to tacticool stuff. I have 2, one is bone stock and the other has a heavy fluted barrel, laminated stock and 4-12x40mm scope. I can hit empty 30-06 brass at 40 yards all day long.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
I think he’s only looking at rifles. You can’t find a better pistol than the Mark series fir sure.
Ruger builds very good guns for the money. The 10/22 is the most popular semi auto rifle being made today. The accessories are endless. From target to tacticool stuff. I have 2, one is bone stock and the other has a heavy fluted barrel, laminated stock and 4-12x40mm scope. I can hit empty 30-06 brass at 40 yards all day long.
I would put Browning's Buck Mark models up against the Rugers any day - and I own a MKII 5.5" bull barrel.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you are like most of us, it won't be your last gun. Guns are very addictive.

The S&W M&P 15-22 is a fun gun to shoot. The Ruger 10-22 is the most popular .22 semi-auto rifle and can be modified with many after-market accessories. They are like dress-up Barbies for shooters.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,602 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Advise eh M&P by S&W is a no go long story I have had three got rid of them all 1 was actually sold 2 Traded off in all fairness I never got a round through the one I sold, the other two 1 the external controls kept popping off 2nd the internals guide rod and trigger pin snapped, Customer service I had better from Taurus...No a single regret dumping them seems like Ruger/Smith Wesson/Colt if it is NOT their "PERFORMANCE" line could care less about THEIR bottom shelf products and the consumers whom purchase them. Get a second hand Hi Point Customer service is OUTSTANDING. Second hand now $70-$80 dollar Hi Point is backed, fixed or parts sent but a $500.00 S&W corporate has no need of. eh just ramblings of one who has been there done that.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have the M&P in a .556 and have been quite satisfied with it as an entry level rifle, no frills.
Not sure how their .22 version is.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
still prefer the Ruger 10-22.....for me it is probably the most reliable 22 auto-loader out there with the best oem mags.....and the old butler creek or whatever they are calling the old hot lips 25 rounders nowadays are very good as well.

the 10-22 vaguely reminds me of the M1 Carbine.....and i have seen some with HK style sights that look interesting....though i have not tried a set.

a gun shop back in the 90's was selling tricked-out 10-22's......with butler creek folding stocks, 25 rd mags, and a Choate flash suppressor/recoil reducer.......it was called the "Hillary heart-break Special"...

sold like hot cakes.........

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
917 Posts
Another 10-22 fan here. If you like to modify to your tastes, the 10-22 Ruger and Glock pistols have the best
aftermarket in drop-in parts.

Take a look at the TALO exclusive 10-22's. You probably won't find them at your local store, but they are available online. There are several models--here is one----all 10-22's.

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
Another vote for the 10/22 here.

Alan

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Welcome from Canada EH!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts