National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to get started into reloading and wondered if any of you folks could give me some good direction on which equipment to buy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This subject is similar to "caliber wars". I do not mean to start a urinating contest, but will speak from my own personal experience.

As for equipment, I have the Dillon XL 650. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... d/1/XL_650

I fell for the "start with a single stage press first", which is what sales peeps want you to do, so they can sell you a progressive later. It was a mistake for me to start out like that because it took sooooooooooooooooo long to load even a couple hundred rounds.

You CAN start with a progressive, and take it slow. A progressive press can be used as slow as a single stage, with double checking every step until you get comfortable with it.

Read everything you can get your hands on. I think the Lee and Speer are rated as the best. Lee's "The ABC's or Reloading" is a great place to start.

http://www.reloadbench.com/main.html is a great website, and has a good forum. Spend some time there learning from the wisdom of others.

Then there is the NRMA website http://www.reload-nrma.com/videos.html that has videos of every step in the process.

It won't take you long to get competent and confident, and really start churning out the rounds. When I go a while without reloading, I go back and reread the manuals before starting up again.

FWIW: When I first started reloading, I would run some rounds through a Ruger pistol before I would try them in the Walther, Kimber or Sig.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I agree with Baldy. Buy a good all around load manual. Some of the ones from a specific manufacturer only contains info from their products. From there you decide which way you want to go reguarding single stage vs progressive. If your a high volume shooter, you will want a progressive. Reloading is easy and fun...Dont think your gonna save money though. You will spend what you save on more components! And therefore shoot more. Reloading will cut the cost of ammo in half providing you have a supply of brass. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
baldy is right get a good reloading manual first, read it from cover to cover before buying. If your doing a lot of shooting loading your own ammo will save you a lot of money, I like the Lee progressive loaders they are less expensive than Dillion and are well made. you need to do the reserch for the equipment that fits your needs. Good Luck and Enjoy reloading can be fun.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Buy more than one reloading manual, and do some online research.

What are you going to be reloading for? Rifle? Pistol? Shotgun?
How many rounds a year do you think you will reload? (Take the largest amount
you would think you would EVER reload, and double it)
How much time do you want to spend reloading?
How much money do you want to spend?
Will you be switching between calibers frequently?

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
Old thread resurrection. ;-)

--Wag--

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
Eh, no biggie! The advice is always good!

--Wag--

1 - 9 of 9 Posts