National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I have recently become interested in exercising my right to bear arms. I just found this forum (so yes I'm new here) and I was wondering if you guys could recommend some threads I could read to learn some of the basics to help me get started.

Also I have some questions:
-Do I need any special certification to own a gun?
-What are the different types of guns?
-Where is a good place I can go to buy guns online?
-Is there a good safety guide I can read on this forum?

thanks,
red.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Greetings. You may want to introduce yourself on the Introductions thread.

Where do you live? Understand the law governing gun purchase/ownership for your State. They are all different.

Types of gun? What are you interested in, handguns, rifles, or shotguns? More importantly, what do you intend to do with this gun?

Forget about buying a gun online. Find a local gun store that you like. Get to know the staff. Explain to them what your want to do so they can make recommendations. Hopefully they will have a range and rental guns for you to try before you consider buying.

Safety is pretty universal:

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED, TREAT THEM ACCORDINGLY

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND YOUR TARGET

Reactions: DPM and Siplace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-I live in missouri at the moment. I have a summer house in Wisconsin where I plan to store my guns though. So I guess Wisconsin is the state I would like find the laws for.

-I'm really interested in the Uzi submachine gun, but I've only seen those in movies... Are they even legal... Besides those I like the handguns.

-I want to purchase guns because I want to collect them. I also want to start hunting once I finish school.

-Also, how can I get a suppressor? Are they universal (as in, they can be used on many types of guns)? And how much do they usually cost?

Thanks for the tips by the way.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,407 Posts
-I live in missouri at the moment. I have a summer house in Wisconsin where I plan to store my guns though. So I guess Wisconsin is the state I would like find the laws for.

-I'm really interested in the Uzi submachine gun, but I've only seen those in movies... Are they even legal... Besides those I like the handguns.

-I want to purchase guns because I want to collect them. I also want to start hunting once I finish school.

-Also, how can I get a suppressor? Are they universal (as in, they can be used on many types of guns)? And how much do they usually cost?

Thanks for the tips by the way.
To get a primer on handgun laws by state, go here -----> Handgunlaw.us

Semi-automatic Uzi's are legal to own. Full-automatic Uzi's may or may not be legal in your state and you need to apply and be approved by the BATFE before you are allowed to own/possess one.

As far as a suppressor, under federal law, it has never been illegal to own a silencer. If it is legal for you to buy a handgun, and you live in a state that allows ownership, then it is probably legal for you to own a silencer. The basic requirements are as follows: You must be at least 21 years old, live in a state that allows suppressor ownership and not be a felon. The following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV and WY. Of the remaining states; CA and IA may allow silencer ownership for people in possession of a valid FFL.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Most of the time you have a legal state of residency (sounds like Missouri in your case), and THAT is the set of laws that will dictate much of what you can do. Under the Wisconsin laws you would be a nonresident, most likely, so keep that in mind.

A suppressor will cost you several hundred dollars (for a good one, anyway), in addition to some paperwork, and $200 for a tax stamp. They are normally threaded onto the end of a barrel, and most come with the thread pattern (a diameter and a threads per inch value) as part of the description. They need to match the threading on the barrel, and the diameter of the bullet passing through them. There are fora on the internet that talk about nothing but suppressors.

I get the impression you are fairly young. In most places you will need to be 18 to purchase a long gun, and 21 to purchase a handgun (your state may differ), and similar ages to purchase ammunition. I HIGHLY recommend taking firearms safety courses from NRA certified instructors prior to handling or purchasing any firearms, if you were not raised with them (and my Dad WAS one of those instructors). You will likely have to take a hunter education course prior to hunting, as well, which is NOT the same as a gun safety course. I also highly recommend that you spend as much time as possible shooting with knowledgeable people before you start down the road of purchasing firearms, or you will likely purchase things that are not as useful to you as they may seem from afar.

And those 4 safety rules above are ALWAYS to be at the front of your mind. Violate them at the risk of your life or the lives of those around you.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Welcome, As stated above I would think first thing to do would be a NRA basic safety course. And you are on the right course on the Forum. Just do some reading. One that I put up was good. Read the ones with STICKY on them. Each one has special knowledge in them. Go to the home page and open each category look for sticky and read it. Mine is STICKIED in the training category. All of them will help you.

The suppressor makes me curious, They make the gun less accurate and reduce the power and energy of the round. Learn to shoot first then worry about toy's.

Also look at advice for other new shooters under the search function.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for your help everyone! I can sense your enthusiasm in your posts.

One last question. What would be the best place to purchase firearms after I have taken a safety course / gotten permission to own a gun? I know places like Walmart and Cabela's sell firearms but I don't want anything generic. Like I said I will be collecting them so I want to make sure I'm purchasing quality stuff.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
"Best" means what to you? If you buy a particular model of firearm, the actual location of your purchase doesn't alter the quality of that firearm, unless they screwed it up taking it out of the box. When CHOOSING a firearm, however, nothing beats a knowledgeable person on the other side of the counter in a brick and mortar gun shop, or over the table at a gun show, or in a living room. And it is always a good idea to shop locally and have a friend in the gun business. But like most folks, I have a limited number of dollars at my disposal, and will purchase from big chain stores or online if the LGS can't come close to the price of something I want or need.

Also understand that a "collection" to most folks is not just a number of firearms, it is a number of firearms that have some meaning to that person. Some collect brands, some collect firearms with historical significance, some collect action types, some collect very specific things (when I was a kid, there was a guy in the town we lived in that had ROOMS of Remington rolling block rifles). I don't consider my firearms to be a collection, just a set of tools I use. And most of those collectible firearms are not ones you just walk into a gun shop and buy over the counter (although if you are prescient, you can buy many of them that way before they become collectible).

Don't try to rush into this. Take your time, read everything you can, talk to folks, look around, handle things, and learn. Then buy.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Cmonster is right listen to what he say's. It sounds like you may be asking for advice on what gun to purchase. If that is what you mean, then: This is about research. You have to decide what gun you want and the best for your needs. There is size, actions, calibers, manufactures, fit, all of these are quite different and none of them are perfect.
There are resources available to help you. You tube, This forum, TV, Google. Just remember that if you ask for help, you will get what they like best. This may not be the best for you. People will try and help by telling you what there fav is. That is likely not the fav for you. Also the guy behind the counter may or may not know what he is talking about, There are a lot of good ones but also some that are just selling. Do your research and know what you want before you buy it.

·
Super Moderator
11,826 Posts
If you can find a local range which will rent guns to you, you can try a few out before you decide what you're going to buy. Better yet, make friends with someone who has guns and see if they'll let you tag along on a morning shoot.

Guns require ammo but also require other equipment, particularly, hearing protection and eye protection. You'll start to spend some money after you buy your gun(s)!

--Wag--

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Welcome----- heed all the advice you have received from these members. All are experienced shooters. That said, slow down, take your time and ease into the world of firearms. It is a fasinating world and if one takes his time to learn properly, a very rewarding experience. Good luck and please, be safe.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dang y'all sound like reasonable, intelligent, sane, law abiding citizens. I thought gun owners were a bunch of gun crazy, radical, shoot-first-ask-later reactionaries.

There goes the neighborhood.

:laughing:

Reactions: MACSRET and Wag

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I have recently become interested in exercising my right to bear arms. I just found this forum (so yes I'm new here) and I was wondering if you guys could recommend some threads I could read to learn some of the basics to help me get started.

Also I have some questions:
-Do I need any special certification to own a gun?
-What are the different types of guns?
-Where is a good place I can go to buy guns online?
-Is there a good safety guide I can read on this forum?

thanks,
red.

Congrats red on your decision to be a responsible firearms owner. In response to your post I just thought I would offer some advice. First off, have you considered joining the NRA? I'm not trying to influence you by any means but the reality is that the NRA is the largest single private advocate for your 2nd Amendment rights in America. They have a great deal of influence in Washington and supporting them helps to protect your rights and your ability to enjoy the hobby of firearms.

As far as certification to own a gun, I personally have never heard of such a thing. Check with the authorities in your area and find out.

Different types of guns? Well that's a loaded question (no pun intended). Basically the types are pistol, rifle and shotgun but even those are divided into a wide array of different types of guns. Probably your best bet to learn is to pay a visit to a local gun store. Don't go on the weekend or any day that they would be really busy. Instead pick a week day during the mid afternoon when they are likely to have very few customers. Go in and just start to browse. If its a store with good service then tell the folks there that you are new to the whole gun thing and are just curious as to what the different types are. Odds are they will be more than happy to explain it to you.

There are plenty of online places that sell firearms if you do a google search. The one thing you have to remember is that they won't just deliver the gun to your house. You have to have it delivered to a person or business that has a Federal Firearms License. Once that person or business takes possession of the gun they can then release it to you and usually for a free.

Hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Greetings.

Forget about buying a gun online. Find a local gun store that you like. Get to know the staff. Explain to them what your want to do so they can make recommendations. Hopefully they will have a range and rental guns for you to try before you consider buying.
"Online" gun purchases are not entirely what they seem.

First, you still need to have that gun shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensed dealer( FFL) at a Local Gun Store (LGS). Then you still have to have a full background check, just

as if the purchase originated at the store.

Second, you pay for the background check, before you pick the gun up, as well as taxes, insurance, shipping and all other fees. @ 75 to 125$ additional to the "online" price.

Third, you don't get to see the product before you buy, and therefore risk getting stuck with a plonker.

As Insta-Gator was saying, talk to the guys at the LGS, they will show you how to inspect a

bore, and check out a gun properly, prior to purchase.

Learn the laws where you live, and shoot. Because while the judge may not care if

the police know the law, we gun owners are always held to that "ignorance of the

law is no excuse" higher standard...

·
Jesus Saves
8,049 Posts
read to learn some of the basics to help me get started.
I am also a newbie, just over a year ago I got the itch. I can relate to your eagerness to learn and practice your potentially new hobby.

My 2 cents...

While you have this eagerness now, really think about it and be a sponge about learning. Learning about firearms for practical use, collecting or just plain fun is a never ending learning experience. In other words, IMO, no one ever really graduates and says I am done learning about firearms. One must never, ever believe they are above the basics. One must never believe they know enough. I have read horror stories about very well trained individuals making very basic mistakes. I know people who have been using firearms their entire life and I personally would not want to go shooting with them; knowing ALLOT about something does not make you proficient at the activity. I know many many smart doctors that are poor clinically!

Learn the law. It changes often, at times in a not so supportive means; and it is always a battle to keep the freedom we have.....join the NRA to support your freedom in this area.

Do your homework about what you may want. Do not run out (when you are ready) and buy what everyone else has; the coolest zombie killer. Instead, learn about what may interest you and you will be happy.

Read this forum! I have been here for just over a year and read something daily, and I learn more and more each day....knowing I will never learn enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have so many options and so many people will tell you what they like best. But it may not be what is best for you. One of the best posts was to track down some gun stores that rent various handguns or at least types of handguns. While the purists will disagree most newbies will not realize any huge difference if the rental is a Ruger 1911 or Springfield 1911, you are shooting a 1911. But before you do that take some kind of gun handling course. Because if you do not have at least the rudimentary knowledge of gun handling you will not be able to judge the gun you are shooting.

When asked what kind of gun to purchase I usually ask that person to answer a few questions:

First: Are you committed to a Pistol or revolver?

Will the gun be a bedside gun
Car gun
Carry gun (preferences for type of carry if any)
Target gun
Competition gun (what sort of competition)
Or any combination of the above.

Collecting guns as someone mentioned is something else. Because usually you have a particular thing in mind. Someone I shoot Bullseye with has 48 1911's. Maybe you want "old west' stuff. Based on your post I think you are fairly young and should start with some research. Everyone is anxious and hates to wait. I am NOT a Glock fan but the purchase of say a Glock 19 in 9mm would cover many bases and would be easy to trade in or sell if not the right gun without spending a lot or a huge learning curve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts