National Gun Forum banner

New to forum and LR shooting

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Win94ae 
#1 ·
This is my fist post. I was looking for some reloading info and found this fourm and I tought I could learn some things from folks who know. I've been shooting indoors for about 4 years with handguns and .22's. Now I'm into long range shooting. I bought my intro gun which is a Howa 1500 with a 26" semi-heavy barrel and a Houge stock. I pick it up at Turners Outdoors for 320.00 and I thought it would be a good starter gun that I can easily customise as I go along. I've been to the range 3 times breaking in the gun and I have added a Nikkon Buckmaster II since some of the more expensive scopes have to much to learn just starting out. Also added a check riser and drop box magazine. Put a bipod on since I really didn't like the shooting bag rest . I've put 200 rounds down range so far and getting use to the rifle. More to come as I learn with not to do and what works. Thanks to you and your and the NRA

#5 ·
Greetings And Welcome To The Forum

Howdy, 200 rounds is not a lot but a significant amount for a rifle especially if you're talking factory ammo. Not trying to talk to you into reloading but the savings can add up. I don't shoot a lot of rifle but can cut my ammo cost in half reloading.

#7 ·
Welcome from New Jersey!
Long range can be fun and addictive. We do some 300 yard shooting. That’s long range for old guys using hunting 30-06’s. I also have a .223 heavy barrel that can connect the holes at 200. Ground hogs don’t stand a chance.

#10 ·
I'm only at 100yds. but each time I go I find there's something else I need in order to get comfortable in shooting with a scope. I've used red dots and reflex sights on my .9mm and 5.56 carbines out to 50yds. and handguns to 25yds. Use to do deer hunting out here in California about 25 years ago but it is so dry in the mountians and our season starts in the 3rd week of Sept., at that time of year there hasn't been any rain for 6 months, so it's dry, noisey and dusty. Plus 62 year old knees that worked on very steep roofs for 30 years would rather target shoot than walk the mountains.

#13 ·
Howdy from another Texan.
As a military brat, I was tought to shoot largely by the Advanced Marksmanship units on several Army posts as a youngster. I got out of shooting as a single father of 3 boys. Just never had enough money or time.
When I started shooting again, I had forgotten a lot and a LOT had changed.
Long Range Shooting Handbook by Ryan Cleckner on Kindle brought a lot of the basics back to mind. As well as not so basic. Pretty good book.
Shooting rimfire rifles sighted for 25yds at longer distances can help you get ready for center fires at distances over 100yds. Same problems.
Good luck and have fun

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.