National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I have just gained interest in guns a few days ago, since I will have to move out of my parents home soon and want to have some sort of personal protection.
So far I have been researching semi-automatics vs revolvers and as a first gun I think I might buy some sort of a revolver, since I don't have too much money to spend.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest a .357 if you go with a revolver. It's an excellent personal defense round and you can shoot .38 special ammo through it for cheaper target shooting. (same size bullet, shorter case). Smith and Wesson and Ruger are the best names in revolvers but there are plenty of other good brands. Stay away from anything too cheap as it usually means it's a POS. Don't be afraid to buy used if you can't afford a decent new gun. There are lots of things to consider when buying used but generally if there isn't any rust in the barrel or chambers and it's overall pretty clean looking you're usually safe.

·
Distinguished Marksman
49 Posts
Welcome to our community new shooter! As I hope your new found interest in guns stays with you for your whole life. We need every shooter we can to be educated, and willing to fight for freedom by educating themselves on gun safety, the second amendment rights, and proper firearms handling. As being a shooter or a sportsman, takes a lot more than just owning and shooting guns - get involved in the community and never be afraid to fight for your rights.

If you're looking for information on guns, you've come to the right place, as many of the members here are passionate shooters that have encyclopedias of knowledge to share on experience.

You'll likely find reviews and discussions on just about any type of gun you can dream of - and don't be afraid to ask questions!! As these members will be straight up, and honest with you.

Welcome once again, enjoy the community.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
Yes, the hobby has many aspects and many joys.

All that joy notwithstanding, personal protection is the HIGHEST use of a firearm, and a damned good reason to join the club.

I moonlight as a firearms instructor, and tend to recommend a large caliber revolver for a first primary home defense gun. Like a .44 magnum (that can shoot downloaded .44 Special or .44 Russian for practice) or as recommended above, a .357 magnum that can shoot .38 Special for practice. However, my favorite gun of all to recommend to new shooters, especially younger or smaller statured, is an ex-cop Smith & Wesson Model 10. There's something about the older gun having been carried on the beat for decades that instills confidence in the student, and while the gun may show a lot of finish wear do to holstering and all-weather carry, the lockwork is usually not only immaculate but also highly tuned and well-kept. Oh, and they are cheap, and cheap to shoot.

Just don't get all grim and turn into Travis Bickel; after you become proficient with your primary home defense gun, look into target shooting, trap shooting, collecting, hunting, tactical training, etc.

Or if you want to keep it a little grim, look into getting your concealed carry permit.:wink:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks to everyone for all the great information. I will probably buy a used revolver in a few days or so.
I also feel that our 2nd Amendment rights are being slowly taken away from us with all sorts of anti-gun laws, which is just sad.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Welcome from Virgnia.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Everyone else covered the main issues so I will just say hi and welcome from Michigun.

·
Knowledge Seeker
1,400 Posts
Hello & Welcome from North Carolina. I agree with those already having posted that a .357 revolver would be best for a first handgun. Too big a caliber would be hard to learn as a first gun & too lil a caliber & you'd end up thinking its a toy. Revolver is best as its simple & uncomplicated like a pistol. Just remember the golden rule though "Every Gun is Loaded so treat it as such"

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Welcome to the fold!!

We are always happy to see new shooters joining our ranks, and hope that you become a life-long gun owner. The more people we have on our side the better. And do yourself another favor, after you've purchased that handgun, get yourself membership in the NRA. It's only $35 a year and gives us gun owners numbers, which adds to our strength.

Welcome to the addiction!

·
Balanced is so subjective
494 Posts
I'll say welcome and glad to have you. There are a lot of very smart people on this forum. I also consider this forum to be the best on the net.

I love to hear that someone new is getting into the sport. You can't go wrong with any of the stuff mentioned above. I like the revolver idea since you're looking for home defense and are new to guns. With that said you'll soon become an addict like all of us, planning what your next fix will be.

Edit: Like SheNine said, if you get into it please join the NRA. $35 a year isn't much to help protect your rights which enables you to protect your life.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to NGF, Mr. Treath, glad you joined. If you do a search for "revolvers" you'll find comments and experiences from several of us along with some recommendations, if you care to hear them.

Stick around, learn all you can, and keep researching the Second Amendment angle of your newly-found interest. It will amaze you.

KYPD,

~Rick
a/k/a "The Gunrunner"

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,623 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Don't listen to these people - they are nuts I'm telling you, nuts! Go semi-auto and you will never look back........

:lol: J/K the gang here is very knowledgible and will help you when it comes time to purchase especially since you are looking used. Take a pic of your "chosen" weapon and post it in the Handgun Discussion area with request for comments and what to look for before buying. You will get a lot of good advice.

Oh yeah, Welcome aboard from the Land of Lincoln!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Welcome Aboard from NC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts