National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on buying this gun http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/39417-11781-413.html and this starter kit thing http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/16894-15647-470.html and i need to know a few things, what size caps does this gun use, what kind of powder do i need? where online can i buy the caps and powder, what size balls does this shoot because ive heard .44s use balls from .451 to .457 in diameter but what kind should i get, preferably from that site, do i need wadding and what kind and is there anything else i should buy when i buy this gun? any links alone with sugestions would be greatly appreceated, thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, for starters, the kit you are buying has the round balls. Just buy the same size round balls that comes with the kit. If I remember correctly they are .454.

You will be much better buying your powder and caps local. The shipping will kill you for powder. You want to use FFFg black powder or Pyrodex P. The Pyrodex P comes with a green label instead of the yellow label that comes on the rifle powder. For caps, I always have had good luck with Remington #10. CCI #10 are too small. You can also get by with CCI #11 caps, but you may have to pinch them a tad to get em to stay on the nipples.

You can buy what they call "wonder wads" or you can just use Crisco. If you use the wonder wads, they go between the powder and ball. The Crisco goes on top of the ball. The wonder wads add to the expense, but are way cleaner and less messy than Crisco!

One more hint, Windex with vinegar (yep they make it with vinegar too) is the best dang stuff in the world to clean up black powder fouling. You can buy a bottle of the stuff, pour it in an gallon jug, fill the rest with water, and you got enough cleaning solution to last for a long, long time!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Save your money and get a flintlock rifle or single shot pistol. Your face will love you for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts