National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems lately I cannot fire an auto pistol without a jam! My little Firestorm 9mm is cheap and it never jams. My daughter's .380 Beretta never jams. I buy a brand new Taurus Millennium .45 and it jammed on the third round! It fired the rest of the clip and jammed again on the 5th round of a new magazine. I use Winchester round nosed shells. Could it be the ammo? I heard this model of Taurus was not prone to this sort of thing, but I suppose they all are. I think once again I have confirmed my new love of revolvers. My SP101 NEVER jams and only has 5 rounds, but I know they will all fire!
The last gun I got rids of was a Kahr P40, it never fired an entire magazine without jamming.
I had a brand new S&W 9mm a few years ago and I sold it because it jammed with any ammo I ran through it. My Ruger P94 .40 has jammed once or twice but otherwise I think I would depend on it, but it is a tank to carry around. Is it something I am doing wrong?

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
I have not ever seen a Taurus Auto that did not have such issues, other than the PT1911... Between my wife and I we've owned 3, all brand new, all junk. I also have several gun club buddies that have all had the exact same issues.

Sell it... get something else!

I hate to bare the bad news... but that's just how the Taurus' are my friend.

Search through these forums... we've conversed this NUMEROUS times.

- Good Luck!

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
I would be interested in knowing where it was jamming. I had a problem with my RIA Tactical with a FTRB. It was an ejector problem and once that was corrected, the pistol has eaten everything I feed it. Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
211 Posts
It could be how you are using it, I have seen new Kimbers jam because the user was not using the weapon correctly. They were not locking their wrist or their elbow and the weapon would jam. That might be part of your problem since it seems to only happen with the larger caliber or heavier weapons.

Just my 2 cents though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jamming

I have owned, I believe, 17 different handguns, most were semi autos. Really regret selling a Colt Gold Cup .45. I'm back to 5 pistols right now. The first thing I did after the first Taurus jam was I held onto the gun even more firmly with both hands and it still jammed one more time.
It is attempting to feed the next shell and the round is stopped by the slide just before entering the chamber. The slide is stopped against the side of the round usually causing a small dent in the brass. The bullet is just inside the chamber at an angle.
I used to have revolvers as an extra "toy" to play around with, but I am quickly learning the benefits of wheel guns.
I need to buy a .22 revolver for my daughter who loves to shoot and always complains about this or that hurting her hand, and the hot spent shell landing on her arm or shoulder. So to get her in the shooting range more I think a .22 revolver will do the trick. So maybe I can trade the Taurus to my dealer and pay for one more mistake.
I always think I do my "research" before purchasing a gun, but I really need to talk to you guys before I buy. Nothing like on hands experience to find good answers.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
That was my exact problem with my RIA. I used to tap the slide with my palm and the round would then fully chamber. I would start with having the extractor adjusted because it is probably too tight and go from there. Does it look like this?

Attachments

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I never give up on a pistol until I have pumped a good 300+ rounds through it. Some of them just come a bit too tight from the factory. I try a light oil after a through cleaning and have even used a silicone based lube.

The old story of dropping down one round in the mag works with some guns and not with others. The extractor could indeed be the issue. I have put those under the magnifying glass a few times to see if they had a burr that needed to be removed.

My next step would be to look at the feed ramp or the chamber. A drop test into the chamber will usually take that issue off the plate. If its too tight you need it reamed a bit by a gunsmith or the ammo is out of specs.

I usually find that the feed ramp needs to be polished up a tad or the magazine is screwed up. You can polish your feed ramp lightly yourself but the mags will need to be replaced if thats the problem. I have not had good luck with my feable attempts to bend the magazine lips to allow them to feed properly.

Send the gun back to Taurus if not satisfied. I have done that with a couple and had them back within a month, fixed good as new for zero cost.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
One of the biggest problems I see with Taurus is the mag springs are junk. If you send it back you will probably get a new set of junk springs and be without your pistol for six weeks or more. Get some new springs from Wolff and get a new return spring too. Cost about $25.00 but it has cured many woes of a new automatic. As mention and very light polishing of the ramp will not hurt it either. Good luck.

Here's Wolffs web page:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Resources/welcomeNOF.html

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I still like the idea of sending the gun back to Taurus. If they don't make them right then they should have to repair them.

If you are talking about selling the gun out of dissatisfaction then the 4-6 weeks without the gun is a drop in the bucket in time. Make the jerks fix the gun and if they don't then call for a high level manager that will insure its done right.

My problem with Taurus was that I could not find anyone who spoke English very well. The company is located in Florida and they must employ many from either the Cuban community or from South America. Hard to build a fire under those folks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jam

That was my exact problem with my RIA. I used to tap the slide with my palm and the round would then fully chamber. I would start with having the extractor adjusted because it is probably too tight and go from there. Does it look like this?

That looks like the same deal. On my Kahr I believe it had a lot to do with the magazine springs that were too weak. I haven't taken the springs out of the Taurus mags yet, but I will and see what I can find. Sometimes you can find some binding in magazines too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New springs

I ordered new mag springs for the PT145 Taurus, from Wolff springs. I wasn't sure which to get. The factory spring is 17lbs. and they have a 19 and a 21lb. I bought the 21. If this doesn't fix the problem I will call Taurus about sending the gun in. The last gun I sent in cost me $60 after insurance and a required signature fee. So unless Taurus has a cheaper way to send it, I will count on the springs to fix the problem. Just another reason to go to the gun range, all good!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive got two Taurus Millenium Pros, one in .40 and one in .45.
Ive got about 500 rounds through each with zero problems (knock on wood) so they can build them right. Hopefully you will get yours worked out because they are nice guns when they functions correctly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If all else fails, one crazy gunsmith once told me, " there is nothing a little dremel tool wont fix" .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Magazine springs

It seems that Wolff doesn't sell magazine springs for the PT145. Is there anyone else that sells mag springs? I guess I should just break down and call Taurus Monday morning...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive got two Taurus Millenium Pros, one in .40 and one in .45.
Ive got about 500 rounds through each with zero problems (knock on wood) so they can build them right. Hopefully you will get yours worked out because they are nice guns when they functions correctly.

I agree, they can build them right. I bought a PT140 Mil Pro about 6 months ago and have almost 2000 rounds through it & never a jam or misfire(knock on wood). Good luck & let us know if the springs help out. If not send it back to Taurus.

-Matt

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
I still like the idea of sending the gun back to Taurus. If they don't make them right then they should have to repair them.

If you are talking about selling the gun out of dissatisfaction then the 4-6 weeks without the gun is a drop in the bucket in time. Make the jerks fix the gun and if they don't then call for a high level manager that will insure its done right.

My problem with Taurus was that I could not find anyone who spoke English very well. The company is located in Florida and they must employ many from either the Cuban community or from South America. Hard to build a fire under those folks.
+1 Sig - let Taurus check it out. Send pics of the jam and a good description of the problem. They will be able to take care of it and if it costs a little time and your firearm comes back and works then you will not take a beating selling or trading it in on another firearm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Follow up on the Taurus PT145 jams. I decided to carry this gun and I wanted to see if it will work properly. Took it to the range about a month ago and fired 55 rounds, not a single jam. I do believe I may have been "limp wristing" it at times, and "they" say that this type of weapon has a break in period. I have since fired 200 more rounds through this gun without a single problem. I am really happy with the accuracy also. I cannot find too many aftermarket sights for this gun, so I filed down the front sight to compensate for the shots hitting low and it worked well. I can shoot 4-5 inch groups at 10 yards and I believe that is very acceptable for this type of gun. At one time I wanted to sell this gun, but now I really enjoy shooting it and for the amount of fire power it's a pretty good carry weapon. Heavier than my S&W 360 revolver, but much more bang for the buck.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
You must trust it pretty good then, right? After those problems to use it as a carry gun is quite a leap. Exactly what did you do to fix it. Heavier spring and shooting it to break it in?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Follow up on the Taurus PT145 jams. I decided to carry this gun and I wanted to see if it will work properly. Took it to the range about a month ago and fired 55 rounds, not a single jam. I do believe I may have been "limp wristing" it at times, and "they" say that this type of weapon has a break in period. I have since fired 200 more rounds through this gun without a single problem. I am really happy with the accuracy also. I cannot find too many aftermarket sights for this gun, so I filed down the front sight to compensate for the shots hitting low and it worked well. I can shoot 4-5 inch groups at 10 yards and I believe that is very acceptable for this type of gun. At one time I wanted to sell this gun, but now I really enjoy shooting it and for the amount of fire power it's a pretty good carry weapon. Heavier than my S&W 360 revolver, but much more bang for the buck.

I am glad the problems have been worked out for you. Again I never give up on a gun until I pump about 300 rounds through it. If you don't have significant improvement by then its time to send it back to the factory.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts