National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Sig P220 and can't find what the proofing marks mean. I figured there were some proofing experts out there that could help me. Please take a look at the pics below and let me know if you have seen any like these. Just trying to understand some of the gun's history.

I also included a shot of some letters that appear above 'Made in Germany.' It's not the serial number because I see that also - does anyone know what these mean? Could they help me date the gun? I think it is from sometime between 1979-1983, but I really don't know.

Thanks in advance!

DSC08696.jpg

DSC08702.jpg

DSC08703.jpg

DSC08710.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,512 Posts
Nice pistol. One of my favorites!

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
Your pistol has a 'heel' magazine release. This definitely puts its manufacture in Germany and also means it was intended for European sale and use. That makes its proofs European proofmarks. It was imported into this country by a Washington state (RC WVDL) company as a used pistol. The serial number should narrow down the date of manufacture.

Since it has a heel magazine release, the grip panels are different from US manufactured P.220s and will prove rather difficult to find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts