National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an appointment to take a friend to the gun range this month. This gentlemen is a German Student that is living in the US, a personal friend, and he has never shot a firearm in his life. I am looking forward to teaching him the basics of what shooting is all about, how to do it safely and to introduce him to some fun cals!

Have you taken anyone new shooting recently? Do you start them on the 22 cal and work up to the fun stuff?

G

·
.22 revolver, you can teach them handgunner basics with out causing flinching or developing limp or weak wrist (from higher calibers). Also they are almost unbreakable and are common sense workable.
slowly work them up to a semi or a higher caliber (Crawl before they walk). but before a shot is fired teach them a safety course, Muzzle always pointed down range and away from people loaded or not and how to use the sights, and proper loading and unloading of the firearm

G

·
Started my wifey on a .45ACP 1911. Worked fine but she wanted more bullets. Got her a Taurus PT92AF.

She outshoots me with it.

I have also started all 6 of my Children on medium to big bore firearms without a hitch.

I really don't see the problem.

Doug

G

·
I guess I should specify, I teach mostly kids and young men that have not shot before. The beginner rifle and pistol that has passed through thousands of hands at the Gun shop is a marlin 60 auto loading rifle and a taurus 94 revolver, Both .22. I also teach olympic style shooting for kids with Anschutz model 64R sporter target rifles.

·
Registered
236 Posts
People who might be a little afraid of recoil or guns in general should start off with a .22 revolver. But for everyone else a fullsized 9mm / .40 /.45 /.38 pistol or revolver will be just fine. Some people are bored with .22 firearms really fast because there's no recoil and only tiny little holes in the target. It's just more fun to shoot something bigger.

G

·
I started my boys with .22 bolt action rifles for the 100 yd, Ruger single six .22 mag for the pistol range. As they became proficient with the .22s I moved up to higher calibers. They were young at the time. Only after they completed the GA firearms safety course- required before a hunting permit can be obtained, did I move them up to shotguns. Now 34 and 36 they are serious shooters, never had an accident. The 34 year old is a Fed LEO and avid collector (handguns). He buys all the incidental stuff for his OSI office from the same gun dealer that the city and county uses. Owner gives an LEO discount and my son has picked up some real nice pistols.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I was a single man I had a girlfriend that would jump everytime the gun fired.

We had to back her down to a little S&W 22 cal Model 34 kit gun and she could handle that fine. She was very timid and did not like the loud report of the larger guns.

She failed the test and I moved on!

G

·
Lee -

You sure moved in the right direction !

Deb is a nice, funny, smart, very good looking woman - altogether out of your league.

Please tell her that I said "Hi!".

Doug

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug Wilson said:
Lee -

You sure moved in the right direction !

Deb is a nice, funny, smart, very good looking woman - altogether out of your league.

Please tell her that I said "Hi!".

Doug
Will do Doug. She does make my life very interesting. Fun to be around!
Regards to your fine family also!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.