National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about this new pocket pistol? I held one yesterday, feels good fits in back jeans pocket.
Might save your life in a pinch, retails for about $300.00. Smaller than a Walther PPK probably not as accurate.
Easy to operate just point and shoot. DAO no safety no exposed hammer to snag.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCP/index.html

·
Registered
658 Posts
Some are out there but they have not been released in mass yet.
It's almost the same thing as a Kel-Tec P3AT which I have two of.
I don't think I would want a new gun until it's proven.
And they have already taken so many orders nationwide for this Ruger LCP that prices will be up and the wait will be long for them I am sure.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
It sure does look a lot like the Kel-tec P3AT. A different ejector but the rest is very similar.

Trigger pull is a bear at almost 9 lbs. Makes it tough to be accurate when shooting quickly in self defense.

G

·
It'll really have to rock n roll to win out over my Seecamp. I fell into a steal on my SC .32, $300 NIB several years ago. With 60 gr JHP CorBons it buzzes along at a shade over 1K. Like Mohammed Ali, stings like a bee.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I've been watching for that one. I like what I see there.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Nick said:
I'll sell me Beretta Tomcat for one of those. Could a competent gunsmith bring the trigger pull down to a more agreeable 5 pounds?

I don't think anyone knows yet since the pistol is so new. Most of the Ruger triggers can be improved but it is sometimes not a cheap fix.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
A 9 lb pull is not heavy for a DAO and it looks like the only safety, albeit passive, on the SR-9. Better that than the overly light and downright dangerous <5 lb pull on my Glock 27 with "Safe Action" trigger.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
gunrnr said:
A 9 lb pull is not heavy for a DAO and it looks like the only safety, albeit passive, on the SR-9. Better that than the overly light and downright dangerous <5 lb pull on my Glock 27 with "Safe Action" trigger.
You probably would not like my Glocks that have the 3.5 lb connector installed. To me the improvement is quite nice since the trigger reset is quicker and the pull is now perfect. It still is not anything like the 4 lb pull of my Kimbers. The Glock safety trigger still seems to be a good deterrent to accidentally firing the weapon.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG

This lil gun here gots my BLOOD BOILING! I want it, RIGHT NOW!

I MAKE HOLSTERS FOR IT THOUGH!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
You're right, Sig -- I don't like light trigger pull for a personal protection or combat handgun. In the heat of the moment, it's just too easy to pop a cap without meaning to. Refer to that other recent post which talks about cops, when videotaped, almost always touching the trigger when they draw. Sure, we train not to, but there's just too much at stake when push comes to shove and you're in a shoot/no shoot situation. Now, I'm not talking about >15 lb pull like on my Ruger Security Six from a hundred yrs ago, that was ridiculous, but too light a trigger and too short a length of pull spells ADs and lawsuits. JMHO!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
gunrnr said:
You're right, Sig -- I don't like light trigger pull for a personal protection or combat handgun. In the heat of the moment, it's just too easy to pop a cap without meaning to. Refer to that other recent post which talks about cops, when videotaped, almost always touching the trigger when they draw. Sure, we train not to, but there's just too much at stake when push comes to shove and you're in a shoot/no shoot situation. Now, I'm not talking about >15 lb pull like on my Ruger Security Six from a hundred yrs ago, that was ridiculous, but too light a trigger and too short a length of pull spells ADs and lawsuits. JMHO!
I guess that's why ole Maas A. has the New York Trigger module installed in his Glocks. I think most of the New York police are required to have that heavy pull also.

My problem with it is that the heavy trigger pull will most always pull the gun off target when the adrenaline is flowing. You miss you may be dead!

Maybe heavy training cures that problem, I don't know.

G

·
I took a long look at one of these over the weekend and I decided that I need this pistol. The size is perfect & my local shop has them listed for $269. Now, the only problem is that there is a long wait to get one of these, he says Ruger has been telling him "any day now" for the last month. Patience is not one of my strong points.
-Matt

G

·
I've never been a fan of really or even relatively small pistols for carry. I'm a big guy tho so at 6'1 215 a Glock 23 seems to be right for my liking. I do have a buddy however that has seen this pistol and says he loved it.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
MattK1 said:
I took a long look at one of these over the weekend and I decided that I need this pistol. The size is perfect & my local shop has them listed for $269. Now, the only problem is that there is a long wait to get one of these, he says Ruger has been telling him "any day now" for the last month. Patience is not one of my strong points.
-Matt
Welcome to the forum, Mr. MattK1, glad you joined us.

The Ruger y'all are talking about IS made by Kel Tec, which is a fairly small company. I've had an order of P3-ATs and PF-9s open with a couple of my distributors for a while and they all say that it'll be a while. Kel Tec just can't keep up. If someone sees one for $269.00 -- GRAB IT. They are going for between $25 and $50 over retail, right now, in many markets.

G

·
Doubt if the LCP will ever get sold here in MA. Any weapon has to pass so many regulated steps of compliance that I'll be dead before I can buy one. This is not a very gun friendly state to say the least. But if I could get one I would!

G

·
gunrnr said:
MattK1 said:
-Matt

The Ruger y'all are talking about IS made by Kel Tec, which is a fairly small company. I've had an order of P3-ATs and PF-9s open with a couple of my distributors for a while and they all say that it'll be a while. Kel Tec just can't keep up. If someone sees one for $269.00 -- GRAB IT. They are going for between $25 and $50 over retail, right now, in many markets.
Thanks for the welcome. My local shop has 1 that he was sent during the first release & he will not sell it. He has a price tag on it for $269 & post-it note on the box that reads "Not For Sale Yet". I tried to talk him into selling me that one, but nothing. The Ruger does look very similar to the KelTec, but I was unaware that KelTec made it for Ruger. Maybe I should just get the KelTec P3AT & save a few $$. What do you think?

-Matt

G

·
gunrnr said:
MattK1 said:
-Matt

Where did you get your info gunrnr? I've already ordered one at $300 and will be pizzed if it turns out to be a "Ruge-Gal" :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts