National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Live Free
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was a young man the very first handgun I ever bought was a Ruger Mark I Standard model with 6” barrel. Loved that gun! I shot it a lot, and got very comfortable with takedown and reassembly for cleaning even though they were notorious for being a pain. It shot great and I could hit anything with it. I bought it in 1971, and it was stolen when are apartment was broken into in 1979 along with a S&W model 28. Both were great guns. I have missed both, but mostly that silly Mark I. Last night I did some trading and wound up with this NIB Ruger Mark I with 6” barrel. It had never been fired or even cleaned, still had liberal amounts of preservative oil on and in it. Today I proceeded to test my memory and so I disassembled, cleaned and lubed, and reassembled. I had forgotten how ornery these guns are when they are brand new and thus more difficult than normal to take down and assemble, and this one had 40+ years for the preservative oil to congeal...it did! It took a while, but she cleaned up good, and seems to function nice and smooth. Now I am itching to shoot it, but the weather is going to be nasty cold and snowing, so it might be a while.

EA0C6127-6CB9-4BDC-B16B-4B8987221830.jpeg

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,208 Posts
Congrats have fun with it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
Good for you! I love my 22/45, even if it is ugly. Never seen one with butt-ugly grips that can't be changed, but I have one. I also couldn't see the sights, so I put some Williams Firesights on it. It's a tac driver now.

P9010002.JPG P9010004.JPG

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
Just an FYI. If your older 22/45 doesn't have last round hold open, I did this mod to mine. Works great!

Mine. Sorry bout the pic, had a hell of a time getting it this good!
P9010006.JPG

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the stainless 6" bull barrel MKII It is my small game carry its ridiculously accurate. almost everyone that has fired it has offered me $$ for it. Except my wife she literally claimed it as Her MKII. Iv'e fired a MKI wow was all I could say hence the MKII purchase

·
Aim true !
9,503 Posts
Stamps im with you. I have a 3 and 4. Want to add a 1 and 2 to the collection. Gators had a 2. I should have grabbed it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts