National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to the crossroads of the west gun show, and i bought a mouser 98a rifle. I'm looking to restore it to the "original" condition. only thing is wrong is the black paint and the bands in front of the forearm is missing, rest of it is working order.

i plan on taking off the paint with vary vary fine grit sand paper and varnishing the stock. does anyone have ideas where i can get the front bands and peaces of wood.

made in 1916, Danzing Germany, has imperial crown stamped above date. i will post pics soon

·
Displaced Hillbilly
104 Posts
Wouldn't it be worth more unrestored? or have I confused myself again?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
seems to me the NGF has a lot of metro Phoenix members. We need to get together somewhere. Maybe breakfast at Dennies. Of course a day at some range would always be appropriate.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't care about its worth... it was sporterized and i hate sporterized military weapons. i just want like it was when it was issued. black paint is tacky on an old gun.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,923 Posts
DO NOT use sandpaper! Use paint remover.

No K98k stocks were varnished.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Keep an eye out at some gun shows... I usually find parts at them. If not, you could try Gunbroker.com, someone may have the stock rings you need.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i found a supplier
numrich gun parts corp.
link http://www.e-gunparts.com
desided to put an original 98k style stock on.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
That was probably a good choice. Do ya have any pics?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i just took some,

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Sweet. Did ya put some rounds down range?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
going to take it to a gunsmith to have it checked out

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
went to a gunsmith he said it looked good, rifling is good and such, i fixed it up and jerry rigged a sling for it, and i put a scope mount for a scout scope... here are some pix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts