National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I thought I would introduce myself.

I'm a practitioner of the martial arts and use a variety of close combat weapons (katana, kama, nunchaku, bo, escrima, manriki, naginata, shuriken). I practice archery (compound and recurve).

Recently I became of legal age to own a firearm. The first gun I would like to get is a semi-automatic pistol. I know many of you are long-time gun owners and I would like your expertise on a my first buy.
I'm looking to spend a maximum of $600. What you recommend? Thank you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to the board. I'm too old to do any hand to hand fighting so I carry a big damn pistol. I personally like the 1911 .45acp to carry, but unless your a big man like me it's hard to conceal. I also have a Springfield XD in the .45 that I sometimes carry. It's just a meat and potatos type of pistol, a work gun, so to say. Shoots good, as a matter of fact it's what I qualified with and shot a perfect score. I have a new Taurus PT1911 that I bought and had hard chromed so it would not rust when I carry (I sweat a lot). I have several 1911s but this new one is the best shooting one I have. Out of the box it out shoots my Gold Cup. Well worth the 500 or so dollars it cost. -I :i: -I :i:

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,672 Posts
Greetings and Salutations.

·
Registered
263 Posts
For a first pistol I would strongly recommend that you consider a .22 rimfire. And since you indicated a semi-auto, I think it would be hard to beat a Ruger MKII or MKIII. Rimfires are much cheaper to shoot than centerfires. They also aren't as loud and have almost no recoil. All good things to consider when learning to shoot a handgun.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome from SE Georgia,

I agree with the Ruger MKII or MKIII. Lots of fun, cheap to shoot. If you're a martial arts expert you probably shouldn't start with a self defense which is bare minimum .380, 9mm, .40. Plenty of time for that.
You can get a 95% MKII blue steel target for less than $200. Plus it'll always be worth that amount if you ever feel you've outgrown it.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mr. BlackHole!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did some research on the Ruger MKIII and I am pretty sure that will be my choice. The first aspect of shooting I would like to work on would of course be getting the feel for firing the weapon, as well as accuracy in target shooting. Since it's my first gun I will most likely want to use it frequently and cheaper ammunition will allow me to do that.

Thank you for your recommendations, they were extremely helpful.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Welcome from the swamp. I also would recommend a Ruger .22 to get you up to speed and aquire some skills. Like anything else learn the basics well and you will do well as you move on up. Good luck. :-B-:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Welcome! :D

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
BlackHole said:
I did some research on the Ruger MKIII and I am pretty sure that will be my choice. The first aspect of shooting I would like to work on would of course be getting the feel for firing the weapon, as well as accuracy in target shooting. Since it's my first gun I will most likely want to use it frequently and cheaper ammunition will allow me to do that.

Thank you for your recommendations, they were extremely helpful.
I've trained many kids and adults with the Ruger MkII (predecessor to the MkIII) with great results. Great little pistol to learn on, except the disassembly/reassembly on a Ruger MkX is a PITA. Luckily they can be cleaned very well withough complete disassembly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts