National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

New to the forum, and have a couple of questions regarding a rifle I had willed to me.

The firearm is a Norico MAK-90 Sporter chambered in 5.56/223 I know very little about this particular gun and was hopeing to find some information here.

Question #1. The gun currently resides in Mississippi and I reside outside of Chicago. Do I need to ship this gun through an FFL or being that it is now MY gun, can I transport it in the trunk of my car, cased and unloaded?

Question #2. Where is the best place to find parts and accessories for it?

Question #3. From the pictures I have of it, it looks to be in excellent condition. Anyone have a reasonable guess as to a value of this gun?

Thanks
Dennis

·
A BORG of the HIVE
232 Posts
As long as you have paperwork that it was a legitimate bequest, you can transport it yourself, no problem.

If the "bequest" was verbal, i.e., "give this to Joe when I die," I would have it shipped to a FFL just to save the possibility of a big hassle. At the very least, have the administrator of the estate give you a notarized letter to the effect that it was a bequest if it wasn't in the actual will.

Guns for Sale - Online Gun Auction - Buy Guns at GunBroker.com

should have accessories.

Congratulations on acquiring a top notch AK style weapon. Norinco quality is excellent.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I dont see any reason why you cant simply transport it yourself in the trunk of your car as you would any other gun.
I agree as long as you have no reason to believe the weapon is stolen. There is no registry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a response I got when I contacted one of my local gun shops.

" Under the Gun Control Act it is legal for citizens within the same state to sell and/or transfer firearms to one another as long as both parties are legally able to posses firearms. If the rifle is in a contigous state (a state touching Illinois) you can take possesion of the rifle in that state as long as you write down all the information from the gun:

Serial #
Maker
Model #
Importer Name
Caliber

Put together a bill of sale with all of that information. Under the law since you are an Illinois resident you would have to observe the 24 waiting period to take possesion.

If the state is not touching Illinois you would then be required to have the firearms transfered through a licensed dealer and take possesion in your home state.

I hope this answers your question. "

When I asked the question I didn't mention that the gun was given to me, so I don't know if that matters or not. I just said that "I'm getting a gun" and "its in Mississippi"

·
A BORG of the HIVE
232 Posts
I dont see any reason why you cant simply transport it yourself in the trunk of your car as you would any other gun.
Sure you can. But if you get in an auto accident, or get stopped for a traffic violation, and you get asked if the weapon is legally yours, and can you prove it.

You won't get convicted of anything, but you could get hassled for weeks or even months if you run into a DA that's an arse-whole.

To me, it's just a lot easier to go through a dealer. but to each his own.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What kind of right do you think the police have in this matter? Fact is if the firearm is being transported safely within the law they wouldnt have any right to even take the serial numbers down. Proof of ownership without a reason would be a far fetched request for any police department to make in the course of a locked in the trunk with no ammo beside the gun being transported within state and federal guidlines. this fear you are trying to portray to us sounds more like you expect the police to all be overbaring and abusing thier athority!

If youa re nice enough to let the officer inspect your firearm and they were to run the serial numbers they would have to come back as stolen for any cop or DA to give you any hassle. Otherwise they will ahve no choice but to let you go along your way without anything more than the speeding ticket you might be getting!

If you are still conserned print out the state and fedearl guidlines for transporting a firearm. Hand them to any police officer you might encounter this will ensure they understand they have no right to hassel you on the matter and you know the law and are within its guidelines!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.