National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys!

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. Please excuse me for any grammar mistakes I might make, English is not my native language.

My name is Daniel Modolo and I'm a 23-year-old fourth-year medical student from Pelotas, a city in the State of Rio Grande do Sul in Brazil. I have been interested in guns and target shooting since I was 16 and shot a gun for the first time (a .380 ACP Taurus PT 59). I have been practicing target shooting regularly since I was 18 and registered myself as a shooter in the local Gun Club. I don't own any guns myself, since it is not legal for any Brazilian under 25 to own guns of any caliber (I'll get to Brazilian gun laws in a moment). Fortunately, my mother is not afraid of State bureaucracy and was able to meet all the legal requirements to purchase her guns. She is a firm believer that gun ownership is a statement of freedom and taught me to never give up this right. As a family, we own the aforementioned .380 ACP Taurus PT 59 and a .38 Taurus Revolver.

As I mentioned, Brazilian gun laws are very, very strict. Models and calibers are severely restricted. Gun carry is absolutely prohibited for civilians and remains a right reserved only for police officers, judges and the military. I'll list some of the requirements needed to meet in order to legally own a gun in Brazil (like my mother does):

* You must be at least 25 years old;
* You must have no criminal record at all;
* You must pass a psychological test conducted by a State-certified psychologist;
* You must pass a shooting (technical ability) test conducted by a State-certified instructor;
* You must fill out an official form declaring "Absolute Need of Gun Ownership";
* You must register the gun on a Federal level, declaring the address where it will be located (usually your house);
* You must be employed at all times when owning a gun. If ever unemployed, you must inform the Federal Police;
*You must renew your gun register every three years.

If you manage to meet all these requirements, here are the rules of gun ownership:

* The gun must be kept at your house or place of work (if the building is in YOUR NAME) at all times;
* In order to transport your gun to any other place (even to the shooting range to practice) you need to ask permission to the Army, which will then give you a special "transportation document" which allows you to transport your gun UNLOADED in a specific time and date to a specific location on a specific route;
* You cannot, in any circunstances, carry your gun outside the place it is registered;
* In order to buy ammo, you need to go to a gun shop and show them your Gun Registration. The amount of ammo you can buy vary for each caliber, but it is usually 50 rounds a month. Ammo is VERY EXPENSIVE (e.g. each .380 hollow point round is about US$3.50);
* You can only have two handguns, two smoothbore long guns and two rifles AT MOST. The rules apply to any guns of any calibers.

Do you think that's too much State control? Hahaha... And I haven't even started talking about caliber restrictions and self-defense laws. As you can see, there is absolutely no freedom in Brazil regarding gun ownership. The State makes it feel like it is almost a privilege they are giving to you and that defending oneself is not a God-given right of every citizen. It is a joke, really.

Fortunately, I have been blessed by God with a family that understands that guns don't kill people and that having them is no more than a right. We actively participate in campaigns and events in Brazil that fight to give people the right to freely keep and bear arms, which was taken away from us. It shouldn't be an issue that people have the right to defend themselves. All this gun control down here has contributed NOTHING to stop violence and crime, which has been terribly rising since the almost-absolute gun ban of 2005.

I have joined this forum out of the great admiration I have for the American people and their notion of unconditional freedom. I intend to learn more about guns with you guys and maybe teach you about anything I have experience in. I think the best way to exercise freedom is doing what humans do best: associating with people that share the same interests and ideas.

I hope I make good friends here. Feel free to message me or contact me on Facebook (facebook.com/dmodolo2).

Thanks, guys!

·
1,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think most English teachers would be pleased with your writing I've certainly seen worse from some that likely don't speak any other languages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.