National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Just in the process of registering on as many national gun forums as I can to post info on a gun that was stolen from my dad way back in the early 80's in western NC. I have low expectations, but since the gun meant so much to him, I am at least going to try. He passed a few years ago and what few guns he had left along with the original war trophy paperwork on this particular gun was passed down to me. My only hope is that since it is such an unusual gun, it may have fallen into the hands of a gun collector or enthusiast that frequents one of these forums. I know, slim to no chance. Anyway, it is a CHICOM K-54 7.62mm pistol with the serial # beginning with 13 and ending with 41 (yes I have the rest of it, but not sure when or if I should post the entire serial# unless I get some potential feedback). He brought it back from Vietnam in 1971. Again, it was stolen from our house when I was around 12 or 13 years-old in the early 80's. I have all the original military and Vietnamese registration and export paperwork. My next step besides posting on collector forum sites, is to contact the local law enforcement in the town it was stolen, and see if they can run the serial # through the NCIC database. I can't imagine the original police report is still on file from the 80's and I did not find any copy of it in my dad's personal belongings. I live in Kansas now, but my mom and brother still live in the town the gun was stolen in. In fact, my mom still lives in the same house. Any suggestions or advice beyond these steps would be appreciated. I know I am up against it given how long it has been gone, but the internet can do amazing things. Again, I just hope it may have fallen into a collector's hands or someone who registered the serial#. Otherwise, it is probably a lost cause. Just have to at least give it the effort. Is there a particular forum on this site I should post this info on besides the new member welcome. Thanks again for any help on my one in a million endeavor.

·
Dr. of Loadology
15,424 Posts
Welcome dsmiley. You're right, it's a long shot but it deserves a chance. I'm going to "stick" your post for a while to give it a little better exposure.

Good luck in your endeavor.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Do you have serial number or anything that would Identify it?

Welcome and Gods speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Serial # for CHICOM pistol

Thanks for the responses and any assistance, especially those that can and will pass this info to other dealers. The gun has been missing for around 30 years so I understand what I am up against. My dad was so proud of that gun and he showed it off any chance he got, which may be part of the reason why it was taken in the robbery. I guess I should probably go ahead and post the entire serial #. The # is: 13000041. I believe the serial # is on the top slide along with the 3 Chinese characters. The frame may also have the serial # and possibly the manufacture date! which I think was 1959, although I am not positive on that. I also believe it had black plastic grips with the red star in the center. I was only 12 or so the last time I saw this gun and my dad never really let me hold it or fire it. Again, my sincere thanks for any and all help. There would be a reward involved if information led to its location. I also understand that I would have to pay a fair price to whoever the owner is now. I am not looking to solve a 30 year-old crime, but just locate this gun. The location of the theft was Spruce Pine, NC somewhere around 1982-83.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
TThere would be a reward involved if information led to its location. I also understand that I would have to pay a fair price to whoever the owner is now.
I am not sure you would have to buy it back. Obviously you have some paper on the gun for the serial number to remain in memory for 30 years is a long shot. If you can prove owner ship then who ever has it could be looking at serious jail time for receiving stolen goods. I am sure that if you were to offer not to press charges if the gun were returned you would get it back.

Having said that. Never take legal advice from the internet or fools like me that post to forums. But, if you ever do find it you might have a lawyer check into this possibility.

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re: stolen CHICOM K-54 pistol

Yes, I have all the original paperwork on the gun, not copies. This includes the military form DD 603 (Registration of War Trophy Firearms) and export license, both Vietnamese version and Dept. of the Army. I don't think I would have any trouble proving ownership, as long as the serial # is still intact. I have no intention of pressing charges or trying to solve a 30 year-old crime. I imagine any applicable statute of limitations have since long run out. I just want to try and locate the gun. I am willing to offer a reward and pay for the gun if I need to. Again, the gun was taken from Spruce Pine, NC (western NC mountains) and possibly sold in Eastern Tennessee way back in or around 1982-83. The serial # is 13000041.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Sorry to hear of missing pistol.....Welcome here I wish you good luck and God speed....I have jotted down serial as I collect 7.62s If it poops up on me radar I`ll give ya a holler.......

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I ran the # on HotGunz.com and it does show up there as stolen. That's a good thing. At least we know the website works like it says it does. Best of luck to you. I do hope it turns up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a similar situation with my dad. He passed away and we got rid of all his firearms. It was only six months later that my wife and I decided to take up shooting. He had two fav's. a snub nose S&W 38 Special and a 4" S&W 38 Special. I have the serial numbers as well as the info on his 1903 Springfield rifles. But they all fall into a category of "more popular" firearms. I wish we could locate his 38's. So, although, you have a slim chance, mine is even slimmer. Best in your search. I know the sentimental value.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The gun may have been seized as part of an arrest relating to other crime and destroyed upon settlement/adjudication of the case. Many of these foreign weapons are improperly entered into the numerous databases and thus never get a "hit" when the numbers are run. It might be sitting in a dusty evidence locker somewhere as many smaller police department do not have an efficient mechanism to authroize the destruction of seized weapons and thus they simply take up space for decades. Whether or not seized weapons are sold, sucessfully returned or destroyed seems to be a rather hit or miss proposition now a days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts