National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started reading various firearm magazines and have discovered that I have an interest in firearms. Funny that at age 63 I find an interest in something that never before was even a thought.

In the last few months I have bought a SIG P250 P238, Beretta Nano, Ruger LCP, and yesterday a S&W M&P 15. None of them have been out of the box as I want someone to first teach me how to use them.

My interest is target shooting and personal defense. For target shooting what type of ammo should I use, such as FMJ, HP, etc.?

Also, what is the orange plastic thing that is with each gun?

I look forward to participating in this forum.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Howdy and welcome----- you have good taste in firearms to be a rookie. For target shooting---FMJ Defensive carry and shooting---HP. As far as the orange plastic thingy, they are shipped with a plastic barrel plug, keeps someone from loading them while looking at them. And yes, please take a gun safety course to learn about firearms and safety. It is a very addictive and wonderful hobby if done safely.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the ARMORY! I, like you, have acquired a taste for firearms late in life. I purchased my first gun recently at the age of 64, a Baretta 92fs. Yes, you must take a basic gun safety class, and if you like before that, check out the bazillion videos on YouTube on basic gun safety, and google basic gun safety on the interwebs, yous got a puter right? That's what I did. Here is the deal. It's hard to remember all the info being stuffed in your geezer brain at the safety class. A lot more will stick if you aren't hearing it for the first time, no?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts