National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marisa Herman
04 October 2022

Some of America's biggest states have started warning residents to prepare for a nuclear emergency, citing Russian President Vladimir Putin's persistent atomic threats — but many experts are decrying the government message as either lacking substance or a veiled attempt to control Americans.

Taking seriously Putin's threats to use "all the means at our disposal" amid Russia's continued war in Ukraine, New York and New Jersey have begun deploying their own public service announcements geared toward prepping Americans in the event of a nuclear attack on the homeland.

As part of September's "National Preparedness Month," New Jersey public buses featured large transit ads on their sides asking "Do you know what to do in a radiation emergency?"

The ad offers citizens a three-step guide: "go inside, stay inside, and stay tuned for news updates."

Similar PSA-style ads have been spotted in New Jersey shopping malls and even inside New York City subways.

Last summer, New York City Emergency Management issued a public service announcement video informing New Yorkers what to do if a nuclear bomb exploded.

Experts say the biggest issue with the message is that it lacks the lifesaving information pertinent for this type of catastrophic event.

"These ads are likely to cause panic, but lack the most basic information that could save millions of lives outside the zone of complete destruction," said Dr. Jane Orient, president of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness.

New York's video PSA begins with a narrator saying, "So there's been a nuclear attack. Don't ask me how or why, just know that the big one has hit. OK? So, what do we do?"

It then echoes the same advice the bus ad does: get inside, stay inside, and stay tuned.

A subway ad provided a step-by-step guide for decontaminating yourself and others during a radiation emergency. The four steps involved removing the outer layer of clothing, showering, putting on clean clothes, and then helping others and pets.

While overall awareness is certainly important, Orient said the PSA lacks vital information and "seems designed to get people cowering inside indefinitely and depending on a totally unprepared government."

She says the most important tip for this type of crisis is nowhere to be found: If you see a bright flash, drop to the ground behind or under any available cover.

Another tip: Immediately put your hands against your ears. A nuclear explosion creates a blast wave that creates shock waves of air easily capable of blowing out a person's ear drums.

These potentially lifesaving tips, along with several other recommendations that are not being circulated by officials, can be found on the "60-second nuclear detonation training card," which Doctors for Disaster Preparedness has provided to thousands of first responders.

Dr. Orient said the advice of "staying tuned is likely to be impossible unless you have a battery-powered radio," considering the damage from a nuclear attack would render massive power outages.

She noted that taking a shower and washing your clothes is "probably both impossible and not helpful" considering the initial radiation will be gone.

She recommends that Americans familiarize themselves with the 60-second training card, which features helpful tips such as keeping your eyes closed to prevent blindness and covering up with anything, even a newspaper, to protect against burns.

It also explains the 7/10 rule — that fallout, which looks like sand, ash, or grit as it falls and accumulates on the ground, loses 90% of its radioactivity in the first 7 hours after a detonation and an additional 90% for every 7-fold increase in time.

To be sure there is no fallout, the guide recommends placing a piece of white paper, a dinner plate, or anything with a smooth surface on the ground to check every 15 minutes for particles. If fallout is present, seek shelter for two to three days underground or behind thick walls.

Dr. Orient also recommends stocking up on water, food, medications, batteries, and other essentials as well as reading and printing out a copy of the Nuclear War Survival Skills book, which provides "invaluable information for surviving any type of crisis."

·
Premium Member
9,735 Posts
A few people have asked me “ Why do you have guns ( AR ) and ammo not for hunting?” You should see the realization look when I answer why. Simply this, I live about 40 miles from NYC. If someone we to nuke or even dirty nuke NYC, where do you think those survivors are going to go? People would have to flee the area and get out of the city. There would be wandering bands of have nots and desperate people are dangerous, desperate bad people are worse.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
31,882 Posts
After seeing Russia's military "performance" in Ukraine, I'm of the opinion that Russia is a toothless bear. Russia has let their military fall into a quagmire of disrepair and failed leadership. It wouldn't surprise me if they let their nuclear capabilities fall into disrepair also. Putin may be threatening to use nuclear weapons, but the real question is can he use nuclear weapons?

·
Registered
906 Posts
After seeing Russia's military "performance" in Ukraine, I'm of the opinion that Russia is a toothless bear. Russia has let their military fall into a quagmire of disrepair and failed leadership. It wouldn't surprise me if they let their nuclear capabilities fall into disrepair also. Putin may be threatening to use nuclear weapons, but the real question is can he use nuclear weapons?
Any nuke to go off anywhere on/above Earth now would decimate a whole lot of people and Countries. Let's all hope the ones with their fingers on the buttons die before they do that dirty deed.

·
AZHerper
6,139 Posts
He's a tyrannical despot but, he's not a total idiot! He knows better than going against the US in a nuclear conflict.

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
He has more nukes, twice as many.
He may or may not still have some of them, and the ones he does have probably need a little ВД40 on the silo hinges....

Alan

Reactions: Mad Scientist

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Can you imagine the great decision making our current crop of political and military leaders would make in a serious shooting war…

• Sad
Reactions: tpd1749

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
Can you imagine the great decision making our current crop of political and military leaders would make in a serious shooting war…
They'd have to figure out which pronouns to use and be damn quick about it...

Alan

·
Last Stand on Earth
6,022 Posts
Read what I said!
I read what you said. I'm saying he has over 10K nukes. If he wanted to start a nuclear conflict, he has enough nuclear power to cripple us in a single assault. Like you said, he's not an idiot. If he launched a nuclear strike on us, it wouldn't be one or two, he'd throw as much as he could launch at one time and sit back and watch us try to fend it off. It only take 20 strategically placed nukes to wipe out half the US population and cripple us. Men like Putin don't care about his countrymen, he won't be made a fool of on the world stage. 80,000 of his troops have been killed or wounded just in this recent invasion and he's not letting up. By comparison, we only lost 58K is the entire 20 years in vietnam.

·
Premium Member
9,735 Posts
I would tend to agree with you Phil but what about MAD mass assured destruction. Upon his launch of nukes, he would be met with world nukes. Just like in the movie war games. That’s a huge deterrent. I don’t think we have to worry about a guy with 10,000 nukes, it’s the guy who only has one nuke.

·
Last Stand on Earth
6,022 Posts
I would tend to agree with you Phil but what about MAD mass assured destruction. Upon his launch of nukes, he would be met with world nukes. Just like in the movie war games. That’s a huge deterrent. I don’t think we have to worry about a guy with 10,000 nukes, it’s the guy who only has one nuke.
Putin is estimated to be worth over a trillion dollars. He could hide anywhere with that kind of money and no one is going to tell where he is. He has more money than any person in the history of the world. Whatever country he goes to will take the money and keep quiet.

·
Premium Member
9,735 Posts
In my geographic location, I’m more concerned with a dirty nuke. Not so much an explosive bomb but a high radiation emitted device. It could be on a ship in NY harbor or a shipping container and we wouldn’t know about it until it forced everyone out of the city. I envision bands of people walking the streets looking for food, shelter, water or weapons. I have a plan in place but not much of a food cashe’. People are more savage than an apex predator when they want to be.

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
Quote attributed to a number of people, among them Albert Einstein -

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones".

The results of a nuclear war will be devastating to grossly understate... It won't matter how high your airplane flies, or how deep your bunker is, how much food you have stored, or how many guns and how much ammo you have. There is no prepping for the long term aftermath of what is aptly termed a "Nuclear Holocaust". What and whom it does not kill in the first day, it will kill in the succeeding weeks, months and years. There will be no governments, there will be no governed... Whatever we know as civil society now, will not exist. But don't fret, the initial purge will be so incredibly arbitrary and sweeping, that whatever of humankind left may not be those most able to adapt to a radiated Earth.

Sound gloomy? Yeah, it is. There won't be anything like post apocalyptic movies portray, that's the movies.

But, the Earth itself will recover. It existed for billions of years and rebuilt after numerous reboots from asteroid impacts. It will reboot again after mankind is done. For hundreds of millions of years that life existed here until God breathed the breath of Life into man, banished him from paradise for disobedience and absolved his sins through sacrifice, and still mankind cannot live peaceably and reasonably with one another.... in fact evidently he cannot keep from building the means to destroy himself...

Oh, and one last thing. Russia may not have kept their nukes in shape to fly... We may not have done so either...

Alan

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
684 Posts
I do know that the first strike will most likey be plant areas along the gulf coast and in the northeast. Saw this on a published list. At one time we had a plant locally that could switch from peace time product to making explosives in 24 hrs, no longer here.

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
Oh yeah, Houston, Lake Charles, and Corpus Christi are goners in the first hour.... And with our current level of leadership it won't really make much difference. If Russia make the first move, our guy may not even know what's going on and whoever is pulling the strings may jsut let it happen, since they have more flexibility after his election.

Alan

Reactions: Stevejet and Wag
1 - 20 of 25 Posts