National Gun Forum banner

New here...HMR17 question

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  addik 
G
#1 ·
Hey all... New here...
I'm sure this is old news, but I'm looking to purchase a .17 HMR for "camp critters". My question is one make better than the other?

#3 ·
With all due respect to Baldy - take a look at the Savage "Varminter" Package. Savage has just about the top accuracy out of the box barrels. And with the new "Accu-trigger" system, any complaints about gritty, creepy and sticky trigger actions are out of the picture.

G
#4 ·
Thanks for your replys Baldy & 32 Mag. I was actually looking at a savage....but...I spent the money on a Mossberg 835 tactical turkey. Next one will be either a .17 or tricked out 10-22. :i:

#5 ·
Oh now your talking Mr.Magnum (Savage). They are one of my favorites. I had several years ago and they were dead on shooters. I hear that new Accu-trigger is the real thing. Maybe after things settle down around here I might get that .22-250 I always wanted. ;)

G
#6 ·
the .17HMR is an incredible round inside 150-200yds, but is too lightweight for anything other than small game/varmints. I've seen coyote limp away from 5 shots at almost 160 yds.....and yes, they had their eyes open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.