National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about buying another handgun which will be my everyday carry gun and I narrowed down to .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm auto, 9mm Luger, and .357 magnum. If I go with the .45 ACP then I wouldn’t mind having a 1911 chambered in .45 ACP but I wish I could find a 1911 that held more than 8+1 rounds of .45 ACP. Out of the calibers I mentioned which one would be the better option for an everyday self defense carry caliber?

· Registered
8,425 Posts
You might get better answers if you give us a budget, which ones of those cartridges you're considering. In 9mm, you can go micro to full size and a lot in between. I find 45 too heavy, 40 and 10 way too snappy, especially in a small handgun. I went with a 9mm, the SIG P365 with a 12 round mag - it is the same size as a 6-shot Kahr and is great to shoot and accurate

Reactions: Wag

· Registered
4,412 Posts
Greetings And Welcome To The Forum

It's Déjà vu all over again. I thought somebody with your name already joined but apparently not.

You said you narrowed it down but you narrowed it down to multiple calibers. That would be like saying I want to buy a second car that's good on gas. I have it narrowed down to regular, premium or diesel.

With any carry gun or any gun in general there is going top be a trade off between compact concealability vs capacity.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
i have an old rule when it comes to 1911.......John Moses Browning designed it with seven round mags...the U.S military used seven rd mags.........who am i to argue with JMB and the Military?........:cornut:

actually a few decades back there was some real crappy 8 rounders on the market as a lot of guys tried to increase capacity in the great 9mm vs 45 arguments that generated gun rag sales...

so i think if you want a big bullet then accept the capacity limitations.....
if you want high capacity then go to a small caliber ......
if you want to compromise between big bullet vs small caliber capacity......go 40

i want my world to round......i went revolver.:lol:

Reactions: fixitfred

· Live Free
4,517 Posts
RIA makes 1911 double stacks if that is what you really want, and they sell them in 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and 10mm. I don’t know if they make double stacks for all calibers, but I do know for sure they do in .45 ACP and 10mm. Over on TFL you were asking if 10mm is suitable for EDC, and now you are looking for high capacity 1911’s; so, there you go Doc, get you a RIA 1911 full size high capacity 10mm. Keep in mind, it isn’t small and it isn’t light weight either. :biggrin5:

· Registered
4,412 Posts
Buy it and practice with it. 9mm is relatively cheap so shooting it will be economical.

· Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
After doing some research I’m now thinking about just buying a 9mm but will probably go with the beretta 92fs. But the glocks don’t look to bad either.
It's a great handgun. People poo poo it all the time but I've always loved the ones I've had.

--Wag--

· Registered
6,520 Posts
After doing some research I’m now thinking about just buying a 9mm but will probably go with the beretta 92fs. But the glocks don’t look to bad either.
I'm not a 9mm person. I have tried a 92fs. It shot really nice. Nice gun.
The CZ 9mm is a special gun. Loved it. Loved shooting it. Has a special grip hand placement that makes you love it. I'd have one if I were a 9mm person.
I haven't shot. But have held in my hand. A Kimber Micro9. It felt really good to me. I really loved it. And it is a 1911 design. Just micro. Good for carry. Thin..
The 9mm's from HK and Walther. People absolutely love them.

I admit there is an attractiveness to the economy of 9mm. Biggest thing in having a gun is practice. Shoot it alot. If you aren't into reloading. 9mm looks attractive in this consideration. This has caused me more interest in 9mm. Also the Xtreme bullets from Lehigh Defense.

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Para- Ordnance use to make double stack 1911s. There is Para USA though not sure if its the same company or has something to do with the old Para-Ordnance. I would guess there is some link there. They have compact double stack 1911s in 45 up to Government size 18 round double stack. I myself would like to buy one of these when things get settled with money here.

https://www.para-usa.com/

· Registered
1,831 Posts
I have been thinking about buying another handgun which will be my everyday carry gun and I narrowed down to .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm auto, 9mm Luger, and .357 magnum. If I go with the .45 ACP then I wouldn’t mind having a 1911 chambered in .45 ACP but I wish I could find a 1911 that held more than 8+1 rounds of .45 ACP. Out of the calibers I mentioned which one would be the better option for an everyday self defense carry caliber?
Test a few as I have some calibers on your list I would get a 10 mm, That is a want over a need

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.