National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off I’m open to your suggestions. These are only ideas that I have come up with thus far as a starting point. I’m new to all of this and needed somewhere to start from.

Situation:I have an opportunity to go Moose hunting for my first time this November in Quebec. I don’t currently own a rifle only handguns and shotguns. I mostly hunt whitetail and don’t really hunt anything else, all though would like to get into other big game. I want to go with a 30-06 for it versatility and as it has many ammo choices for other game and ammo is relatively cheap. I am looking to spend some where @ $1,000 for the complete set-up to include scope, mounts, and accessories. The land I will be hunting on is 10,000 acres private, mostly flat except a few small hills, and varies with wood density, marsh, fields, etc. I don’t think I will need to reach out more than 250 yards. I would like to pass this down to my son. I have to try to keep this as simple as possible as I tend to get drawn out with details. I have seen combo units at big stores but not too keen on the scope. I am willing to pay more for the scope than the rifle itself. The rifle can be new or used don’t care.

Rifle: I would prefer a bolt action for its accuracy and reliability. I do consider myself to be a pretty good shot and don’t see myself relying on a quick semi-auto, as I feel First shot placement is key. However, not against a semi-auto if it is solid. I’m also not sure on the make/model/combo or other details of the rifle choice. That is where I need your help. Also what ammo/grain size would you recommend for Moose with what info I provided you?

Scope: I have also looked at a few scopes and I do know what I like. I LOVE the Nikon BDC Reticle in the Prostaff line. The buck master is also a pretty good line as well. Although the BCD feature will set me back $400-500 not leaving much room for the rifle. I was thinking Nikon because with my price range they make some pretty good scopes. I might prefer Leupold if I had a bigger budget. I’m not set on Nikon just mentioning them as I have only really looked at them thus far.

I hope I have given you enough info for you to make somesound suggestions. If not please feel free to ask me and I will do my best to provide what I can. This is ALL NEW to me so any advice would greatly be appreciated and I am open to any suggestions. It would be helpful if you can explain any reason for your choices in order to educate myself and others who may read this post as well.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I would lean towards the heavy end of the bullet range for an /06 for moose. Any decent gun maker's bolt rifle should work fine, from Savage to Remington to Tikka to TC to... The scope is fine. Don't get too carried away with magnification. A 3-9 will work just fine, and I would really not go more than a 4-12 for a moose rifle. My hunting rifles are all dialed as far down as I can make them go most of the time, unless I have lots of time to find it in the scope.

Go to the library and read old F&S and OL magazines about moose hunting, will give you an idea of what you might encounter, without getting bogged down in the geewhiz super magnum must-have BS that is the mainstay of today's hunting and shooting magazines.

Reactions: olhippy

·
Registered
44 Posts
personally i would go with a "marlin 1885 45-70" $700 new, plenty of power. Would make a great family heirloom to pass down. Don't see a need for a scope just have a good hunt zone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
30-06 very versatile you mentioned accuracy and liking the nikon line of scopes. take a look at the savage 16/116 package come with a nikon bdc 3-9x40 scope and well under your budget. savage has some great barrels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate all of your inputs. I finally made a purchase that I feel really good with. I went with the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 30-06 with the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 BDC scope. I went yesterday to sight in the scope and was very happy with the way this weapon shoots. Very smooth bolt and not bad at all recoil despite the very light weight. I was shooting Remington capt lokt 180 grain. I am going to try to get my hands on some partitions as I hear those are pretty good for moose hunting. I will shoot those and make my decision from there. As far as budget goes I do know I could have found both items cheaper but decided to pay the price due to my limit of time and no hassle of gun laws and waiting times in NJ (they suck). I ended up paying $670 for the rifle and $225 for the scope at Gander Mountain in Plattsburgh, NY. My hunting partner has a cabin up there thats why we went there. They were very friendly and really went out of their way to show me many choices and gave me their un-biased opinion on each of the other choices. I did look at the Savage Axis and the Remington American. These are really excellent choices, but really liked the Tikka T3 more.

Now time to get ready for the Moose hunt in Lac Landron in Quebec. It's coming very quickly, as we leave Oct 9th. Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeah, pics! And beware, those things are sneaky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts