National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah..., I'm new here.

I joined this forum in hopes of learning more about American gun culture before I buy my first gun for my 21st birthday (it's coming in 6 months or so!). I was born in Malaysia, and in Malaysia, if you are caught with a firearm, you are hung till dead.

So you see my problem here. I wasn't raised around guns. There just is no gun culture in Malaysia. My parents, father especially, is extremely nervous about me buying a gun. In fact, he previously flipped out on me when I said I wanted to buy a gun in America.

I'm a student currently studying in the USA, and I am a big martial arts enthusiast. It might have been fine in Malaysia to stay ignorant about guns, but I figured that in America, and in a state where most people have guns especially, I better learn about and master this incredible weapon.

Recently found out that it's legal for me to buy guns in this state (Indiana), so I'll get one. Problem is, not being raised around guns, I share some of my father's anxiety in buying one. Certainly, I don't wish to shoot myself in the foot, both figuratively and literally.

My previous experience with firearms are limited. I spent a few years in Singapore studying, and I joined the school's air rifle team there. Got decent at it, and was in the team sent for the national tournament. Didn't do so well in tournament though...

After that, I got to shoot guns here and there. First real firearm I shot was a Glock 19. After that, I shot a few .22 LRs here and there, and a few .22 Berettas. That's about it. I'm basically trying to make the transition from air powered guns to real steel guns.

I want a gun that's mainly for the range. Self defense and all that isn't as important..., and I don't really plan to carry it around.

Been looking at the Springfield XDMs, a few Glocks, and perhaps a Beretta Cx4 Storm. Don't know what yet..., but that's what I'm here to learn!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Johnny;
Welcome to the forum and the US of A. How long have you been in the States and are you limited in the amount of days you are allowed to stay?
Are you thinking about making the US of A your home?
If you have to go back to Malaysia what will you do with the weapon?
Anyway, sorry about the questions, just curious. If you find a gun range or gun club where you can "test drive" different weapons, I think that is the best way to go.
Again, welcome,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Johnny;
Welcome to the forum and the US of A. How long have you been in the States and are you limited in the amount of days you are allowed to stay?
Are you thinking about making the US of A your home?
If you have to go back to Malaysia what will you do with the weapon?
Anyway, sorry about the questions, just curious. If you find a gun range or gun club where you can "test drive" different weapons, I think that is the best way to go.
Again, welcome,
I've been in the states for about 2 years now. Yes, I do intend to making the USA my permanent home... there's just nothing left for me in Malaysia (it's a full of petty politicians and political turmoil at the moment. You've probably heard about it if you watched CNN).

If I have to go back, I'll sell or give the weapon away. To someone whom I trust will not break the law of course.

I don't think there's a range here for me to "test drive". I'll talk to some of my gun nut friends about letting me shoot their guns though...

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Welcome to the US (from Virginia).

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your quest for citizenship.

KYPD,

~Rick
a/k/a "The Gunrunner"

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Welcome aboard the NGF and to the U.S.A. Nice to have you with us.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Michigan...!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts