National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have a couple questions that I was hoping to get some answers to.

First I want to tell you alittle about myself to maybe better help you answer my question. I'm a 23 year old college student who grew up shooting the average guns with my father ie. 12 gauges, .22s, and some pistols. I wouldn't say that I'm a very experienced marksman, but I have always enjoyed it.

Ok onto my question, I have been looking into buy a moderately accurate entry level rifle for some longer distance shooting (100-200 yards). I'm thinking of spending about 1000 dollars on a rifle and scope. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I have been looking at the Remington Model 700 SPS. I have read that it is a good production gun. Also what kind of caliber and scope might be good for my price range.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

:biggrin5:

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

Do you just want to put holes in paper, or do you have any desire to hunt with it? If you want to hunt with it, what game would you pursue?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

Right now. Savage's rifle offerings seem to offer the best bang for the buck across the usage spectrum.

100 - 200 yards? Pick the nonrimfire caliber that blows yer skirt up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm just trying to put holes in paper at the moment, but I'd like to find something that is quality. From what I've read I think the Remington 700 Sps .308 is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all of your advice.

:thumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will out grow the Remmington fairly quickly if you are going to chase accuracy.

Are you going to do the additional accurizing yourself or are you going to have a gunsmith do the upgrades?

If you are going to use a gunsmith the Remmington is a good platform to start with.

If you plan to do most of the work yourself then take a good look at the Savage offerings.

If you don't reload you will need to learn.

For the record, 200 yds isn't normally considered long range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I'm looking for a good rifle to learn to shoot longer range target with. And I thought long range was longer than that, but I didn't want to sound like I wanted to snipe quarters at a range of 3 miles.:)

But if it was possible.....lol....

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
You will out grow the Remmington fairly quickly if you are going to chase accuracy.

Are you going to do the additional accurizing yourself or are you going to have a gunsmith do the upgrades?

If you are going to use a gunsmith the Remmington is a good platform to start with.

If you plan to do most of the work yourself then take a good look at the Savage offerings.

If you don't reload you will need to learn.

For the record, 200 yds isn't normally considered long range.

what are you talkin about needing to learn to reaload....i know most gun junkies do, but for some its not really practical or possible, so its sertanly not neccasary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your SPS will get you 500 yards out of the box with store bought ammo.
and a good shooter.

With hand loads, 1/2 mile (884yds) with practice.

* Disclamer* Depending on caliber and barrel length

The Savage is a darn good machine, less from the pocket book.

Being that I build Remys, I am bias

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what are you talkin about needing to learn to reaload....i know most gun junkies do, but for some its not really practical or possible, so its sertanly not neccasary
If you are tweeking for max accuracy you will reload.
Go to a long range match. Not many cardboard boxes in the trash.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
For hunting within a 200yd range I would get a .270 Savage dual stage trigger. Just me. I have never done any bench shooting so I can't help you there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts