National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice please! I'm trying to decide between a Springfield XD-45 Tactical, Glock 21 or Beretta Px4 Storm .45 for a home defense weapon. I would welcome any comment or suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hmmmm, asking forum member for their oppinions on three different guns at once......your trying to start an argument arent you..

You probably cant go wrong with the glock or xd, I cant say either way 'bout the beretta (no experience). One thing about the glock..people either love 'em or hate 'em.

Have you got friends with any of the guns you are looking at, go buy some ammo and ask them to take you shooting so you can try them out.

Some shooting ranges have rentals, is that an option for you? Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
First off, Welcome to the Forum, Namtrek! Good to see you here.

It's important that you know that a reallllly high number of the folks on this forum are present or former XDtalkers and just might have a slight bias. I'm not one of them, but they are nice enough to let me babble on here.

That said, I will offer my opinion, that of the pistols you list, the Springfield would be a better choice. It's safety features automatically put it above the Glock and it's price and construction make it a better choice for home defense.

You don't state what your proficiency level is or how often you are able to practice, which might affect a preference. But do your best to get an opportunity to shoot each before making your decision.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No argument here - if a gun's not at least ten years old, it ain't for me - usually.

My sons are up on all the new stuff - not their hopelessly 'ancient father!'
:lol:

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
The 45 version, despite being on their site, is not actually out on shelves yet, to my knowledge.

Personally, between ONLY those 3, I'd probably go with the PX4.

But, go get ya an HK 45 when the come out soon instead - I am anxiously awaiting that one!

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
namtrek said:
Advice please! I'm trying to decide between a Springfield XD-45 Tactical, Glock 21 or Beretta Px4 Storm .45 for a home defense weapon.
Seeing as you are purchasing this weapon for home defense, and if needed it will be called upon to defend your life, and the lives of your family members, there is only one choice in the 3 weapons you have included. That choice is the Glock. The Beretta Storm simply hasn't been around long enough to prove itself, period. Some of the following I originally posted as a reply to an XD review and the subsequent replies of 'OMG! the XD is sooooo much better than the Glock rofl' I couldn't take it and had to put some things out there.
One thing the XD is superior to the Glock in is handle diameter and that's only for people with short fingers. That's it. Other reasons given to the XD's superiority are subjective to opinion and nothing else.
A few of the given 'reasons' XDs are better:
Price.
The Glock is about $80 more than the XD. I don't know many people who think $80 is something to worry about with something that protects your life. I just put $80.00 worth of gas in my truck this morning.
Machining quality/manufacture. At the indoor range I shoot at they have XDs come back for warranty work (sometimes complete replacement due to inability to repair). Cracked frames, ftf, stove piping, chambers needing to be honed. The list goes on and on.
Durability. Like the aforementioned reason - it's false. Most people have this opinion based on only having a few thousand (if that) rounds through their XDs. At the range they are constantly having problems with their XD rentals (see previous reason problems) while Glocks usually run about 100,000 rounds through them before they cycle a new one into the mix. Those are 100,000 trouble free rounds. Consistently. Wait a few more years when all of these XDs get some real use.
Ergonomics. XD likes to tout this one in their advertising as well saying that when you point it the sights line up rather than having you look at the top of the slide. Glock went with their 105 degree handle angle for a reason: they tested, tested and did some more testing and found that it provided the best firing results for accuracy and following shots. The XD's handle angle along with its high barrel axis to the hand provide much more muzzle flip than a Glock which in turn means less accurate double-taps and a less control.
Single action vs double action. The Glock uses the double action for safety. It's one of the reasons it's called Safe-Action. If the striker spring isn't cocked - it can't fire! Just like a down hammer. The XD has a cocked spring. You can count on replacing the striker spring many more times in an XD than a Glock because of this. You also better hope your firing pin block is in proper working order or you're at the mercy of the poorly designed sear of the XD which, by the way, will fire out of battery. Try pushing back on the slide sometime while pulling the trigger. The double action might not be as smooth, clean or as short a pull of the single action, but these are service pistols not target pistols.
The slide lock. The slide lock on the Glock is designed to be tight against the frame and slide as to not be snagged on anything. They also wanted people to use two hands to release the slide because it's a more controlled manner than hitting the lock with your thumb. This isn't the movies! Release the slide the proper way. The slide lock on the XD also adds a decent amount to the overall width of the weapon - not very carry friendly.
Finish. People, Tenifer is not the outside coating. Tenifer is the metal treatment of the slide and barrel itself. It is .005 mm thick and is close the the hardness of diamond. The treatment of the metal itself achieves a 99.9% salt water resistance. Tenifer is also illegal in this country because the EPA. XD does not have it. Don't regularly oil the slide on your XD and carry it in a cold climate for a while. The in/out condensation will rust your slide in no time.
Warranty. Good thing Springfield has you covered here, you're going to need it.
Field stripping. The Glock actually uses a faster process which uses less steps than the XD. Also, many people rotate the take-down lever then pull the slide lock down putting all forward inertia of the slide to come to a halt against the sear (it's the only thing keeping the slide from going forward at that point) and cause damage to the sear, striker and frame.
Loaded chamber indicator. Glock has this as well. Wake up.
Cocked indicator. Glock has this as well. If the trigger is forward on a Glock, it's cocked. Also, how are you going to get a round into the chamber on either of these guns without it being cocked? It's not a Walther with a decocker.
Grip safety. How is a gun going to go off without your hand on the handle? Your finger should never be inside the trigger guard unless you have the weapon acquired and intend to fire. Are we forgetting some basic firearm rules? The grip safety is null and void.
Customization. If you can't find genuine Glock custom parts for your Glock at your local gun dealer, you need to find a new one. Glock holsters, parts and accessories are everywhere. Try to find a holster for your XD. It's much more difficult. Yes, it's newer and takes a while, but companies will be reluctant to make them because Springfield supplies you with one, albeit a horrible one with not one level of retention.
I felt the need to debunk these XD/Glock myths. The XD is not even close the being up to par with the Glock. The Glock is going on 20 years now and has changed the world of pistols - the XD won't make that sort of impact. Bill T.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
little late but..why not a double 12 ga. or a "self defense" shotgun like an 8 shot or such? unless your concealing it outside of the house tough to beat a shotgun w/ buckshot. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Try them out see which one you like. Its your $ don't rely on someone else's opinion.
I would pick the Glock :D

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
brandonsuperglide said:
Try them out see which one you like. Its your $ don't rely on someone else's opinion.
I would pick the Glock :D
I agree, try them out first and then decide which fits your hand and shooting style best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts