National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm 17 almost 18 and I'm gonna start looking my first gun could any of yall point me in the right direction I'm looking for a 9mm

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
In most states if not all you need to be at least 21 years of age to buy a handgun.
So without more information you have about a 3 year wait.
Use the time to do some research.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey I'm 17 almost 18 and I'm gonna start looking my first gun could any of yall point me in the right direction I'm looking for a 9mm
What state are you in? In most states you have to be 21 to buy handguns but I believe there are some states where you can buy handguns at 18. If you want a good 9mm I would recommend the Canik, its an inexpensive gun and from my experience very reliable.
Home - Canik USA Firearms TP9 Elite Combat TP9SFx TP9SA

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
As I read the law handgun purchase is a federal law of 21.
Possession under 21 with certain exceptions temporary transfer of handguns and handgun ammo for special activities including
employment, ranching and farming target practice and hunting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As I read the law handgun purchase is a federal law of 21.
Possession under 21 with certain exceptions temporary transfer of handguns and handgun ammo for special activities including
employment, ranching and farming target practice and hunting.
You must be 21 to buy a handgun or receiver from a FFL dealer

Feds make no law on how old you have to be to buy from a private persons. State law is a different story and varies

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,775 Posts
The Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess in Ohio.

Ohio law prohibits the purchase of a firearm by any person under age 18, and the purchase of a handgun by any person under age 21. Ohio law also generally prohibits selling or furnishing a firearm to a person under age 18, or a handgun to a person under age 21.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I do not know where the OP lives. That being said.....
By federal regulation/laws, you must be 21 to purchase a handgun or ammunition made predominately for a handgun from an FFL holder. You can build an AR 9mm rifle, in most states as far as I know, and be legal. But you can not purchase ammo yourself from an FFL.
In Texas, it is perfectly legal for an 18 year old to own, be in possession of or buy a handgun from an INDIVIDUAL, but not an FFL holder. You can even carry it in your vehicle if done according to other state laws concerning carry of firearms.

Good advice,,,check your state's Penal Code, Government code and family code. That is where most firearm laws are in Texas anyway. Then check with a criminal lawyer. They will tell you what the applicable laws are as well as what they can defend you against.
The laws vary greatly from state to state.
And never, ever under any circumstances post publically anything that might even suggest you even might do something that even might be taken as ILLEGAL in any state.
Bad JUJU.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
You must be 21 to buy a handgun or receiver from a FFL dealer

Feds make no law on how old you have to be to buy from a private persons. State law is a different story and varies
Yes in some states Im quite sure you can buy handguns at 18 as private sales, the federal law that says you have to be 21 to buy handguns only applies to purchases from an FFL dealer.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,522 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts