National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm 65 years old and have never owned a firearm, nor did I ever want to, until now. Just after the first of the year I picked up a new Citadel Boss 25 semi-automatic 12ga shotgun for home defense. I decided to break it down, clean it, and oil it before shooting, but I can't get it completely broken down. The instructions that came with it are very basic...I've attached them as a pdf. I'm ok up to step 10, where it says to remove the charging handle by pulling it. But I can't get it to budge. I've tried compressing the spring as I pull on it, but I never feel a spot where it feels like it wants to move. Can someone help me out with this? I must be missing something.

Thanks,
Rich

Mod Edit: PDF converted to JPG so no one has to download anything.

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks coalcracker. I've watched that video as well as a couple of others. They are always able to just "pull it out", but mine does not budge. I'm tempted to put it back together and do some shooting to see if it loosens up.

Rich

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
If it's anything like a Remington it has a detent either in the bolt or on the charging handle. Sometimes they can be stubborn and need to pull rather hard while also giving a side wiggle. Being new it's probably really stiff. Also might have to be in a certain spot so play close attention on how far he compresses the spring.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
Glad to see you decided to clean and lube prior to shooting your new gun. Many folks do not. And they have issues when they shoot it. Last week i ran into a fellow who just bought a glock. And did not clean and lube it. It was not feeding ammo. I cleaned it and lubed the best i could out in the bush where we were shooting. It functioned fine then.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to see you decided to clean and lube prior to shooting your new gun. Many folks do not. And they have issues when they shoot it. Last week i ran into a fellow who just bought a glock. And did not clean and lube it. It was not feeding ammo. I cleaned it and lubed the best i could out in the bush where we were shooting. It functioned fine then.
I was surprised to find that NOTHING was tight. In step 7 it says to remove 2 screws...but I did not have to touch them. I pulled the 'fore end' in step 5 straight off. Everything else that I expected to be tight was just finger tight.

I'm going to see if my brother can come out to help me out. One of us can hold the gun and slowly compress the spring, and the other can try to pull the charging handle out.

Thanks guys!

Rich

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
I had some loose items on new Rugers lately. Always good to go over a new firearm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got it! I sent an e-mail to Legacy Sports and they acknowledged that the charging handle is sometimes tight. They recommended running a screwdriver through the holes and using it for leverage while prying up with a pair of pliers or something. I do 3D printing so I printed a clamp to hold the spring in a compressed position.

Then I printed a platform to lay across the gun for prying on. I ran a screwdriver through the holes and used a pair of farmer pliers to pry upwards.

It still took a lot of effort but I finally felt it start moving and eventually got it out.

Rich

·
Banned
3 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
That glock should jave fired

·
Live Free
3,354 Posts
:oops: Isn’t that some sort of blasphemy to suggest a new Glock had issues just because the owner failed to do proper maintenance? ;)

·
Banned
3 Posts
As little Maintenance glocks require its very surprising to me it had issues feeding straight out the box. I think the most probable reason would be limp wristing it. When any company produces the amount of any product that glock does there will be something wrong with a few but with glock the chances are much higher with limp wristing for sure

·
Live Free
3,354 Posts
As little Maintenance glocks require its very surprising to me it had issues feeding straight out the box. I think the most probable reason would be limp wristing it. When any company produces the amount of any product that glock does there will be something wrong with a few but with glock the chances are much higher with limp wristing for sure
It was already pointed out that the gun ran fine after lube, which would say limp wrist was not the culprit, just a dry Glock...and maybe a little tight out of the box, a little lube does the trick.
Why imply user error when there was none spoken of, and why defend Glock when no defect was mentioned? Seems you are imposing your will on the story, but you weren’t there.
Welcome to NGF!

Well, he didn’t last long at all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts