National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now here is something the shot gun world has been waiting for. mossberg , in my day , was known as an economy line shotgun,not the best balanced,tough, rough pump action when new and 30 yers later. i know that has certainly changed to some degree . found this in N.R.A.'s aug./07 issue of american hunter.mossberg model 505 bantam. 20 ga. pump. got a youngster ready to shoot shotgun? here ya are.20 " barrel, 12"length of pull, comes with three screw in chokes IC,M &full, take down, 3" chamber,swivel stud in stock and mag cap,vent rib,mid rib bead,checkered hardwood,tang mounted safety,gold trigger,overall length 37.5", weight 5.25 lbs. certificate for reduced price on full size stock when needed,full length plug which makes it a single shot at first and then can be cut down to accept 2 in the mag. and all this ladies and gentlemen for.....$316.00 U.S.. oh yeah blued metal finish. good shot mossberg. that is a deal. pblsyd. p.s. i think i might just have to get one for my granddaughter. what? oh that's right hon, she's only 5 years old.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds like an awsome piece PB ,got any pics I like the idea of a tang mnt safe! even though Rem is my fave ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a mossy fan, I would bet my life on it over and high priced shotguns eny day of the week ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
didn't mean to offend mossberg fans. i've owned a couple. i've taken quite a few apart. i don't doubt their shooting reliability at all. but, for appearance ,balance tolerances etc. there is a reason why they are ONE of the least expensive shotguns on the market. that being said there is no question of mossbergs improvements in the last thirty years. an old hunter once said to me "they sure don't make em like they used to". to which i responded, no thank god they make em BETTER!!!the good ole days are right now people.pblsyd.p.s. i've only seen one model 505 bantam, but it's mossbergs thinking,about kids and smaller statured people, when they targeted this market segment and that is just great.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It's about time one of the big guys started thinking about the younger folks moving up into the ranks. I see a lot of buggered up, shortened shotguns at gun shows. A couple decades ago H&R, IJ and a couple others made "youth" sized single barreled guns. I seem to remember someone making a combo with a short LOP stock for the kids and a longer stock for when they grow up. When us older shooters retreat to the big range in the sky, there needs to be somebody to fill the gaps. :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
pblsyd said:
didn't mean to offend mossberg fans. i've owned a couple. i've taken quite a few apart. i don't doubt their shooting reliability at all. but, for appearance ,balance tolerances etc. there is a reason why they are ONE of the least expensive shotguns on the market. that being said there is no question of mossbergs improvements in the last thirty years. an old hunter once said to me "they sure don't make em like they used to". to which i responded, no thank god they make em BETTER!!!the good ole days are right now people.pblsyd.p.s. i've only seen one model 505 bantam, but it's mossbergs thinking,about kids and smaller statured people, when they targeted this market segment and that is just great.
Mine is beautiful, well balanced, and tolerances are just perfect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
once again, newer mossbergs are much,much, a whole pile better than they were 35 - 40 years ago.the model 500 pump at one time was a clunker when it was new and a clunker 40 years later. mossberg was reponsible for the economy models 173-.410 single,183 .410 3 shot,185 20ga. ,190,195,200 bolt action shotguns and without these arms a ton of people would never had been part of the hunting,shooting community. much the same as H&R 148 topper,which field and stream had at number 48 i believe of the top 50 all time guns. without the topper alone can you imagine how much smaller our ranks would be today!?i'm referring to the days when mossbergs line up did not have even come close to what it offers today. i'm not knocking mossbergs!!!!! O.K.pblsyd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mossberg sells good guns. It is hard to even get someone to argue with you about that. They may not be the NICEST to look at or have the tightest tolerances in mfg., but they work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts