National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just found this website and thought I'd join. I've been shooting for some time now, mostly my parents .22 rifle and other small caliber firearms, and have been to several NRA and IWLA events as a kid. I just purchased my first gun though, a Ruger SR9 with the all black finish and 17-round magazine. I did my research before going to the dealer and liked Ruger's reliability and price, so I was trying the different models, but none of them seemed to fit just right. I was getting ready to leave, and the guy handed me one more to try out. As soon as I held it I knew it was the one for me. It just fit, as they say. I go to pick it up tomorrow,,, the longest 10 days of my life :)

If anyone can recommend a good 9mm ammo to take to the range, mostly something fairly accurate that won't jam up or leave the barrel excessively dirty, that'd be great. I use cci in small-bore competitions, and that works pretty well for me.

Let's see, a little about me. The name's Justin, I'm 25 and live in MD with my wife Jen, who I met 8 years ago at college. I like camping and the outdoors. I've never been hunting, but don't have anything against it. I don't carry or want a ccw permit, 9mms don't have the same stopping power anyway. I mostly got it for something different to use at the range, and to a lesser extent for home protection, should the need ever arise.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Welcome from the swamp. I been looking at that same pistol myself. I would use Winchester White Box for a few hundred rounds and keep it cleaned and lubed. It should be just fine. Good luck. :-B-:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to have ya Justin. :-B-:
I used to work in Maryland in late summers in watermellon business (out on DelMarVa) Never forget the wonderful food at Phillip's Crab House at Ocean City.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Wow. No waiting periods in Colorado. You can get in and out of a gun store in an hour. Welcome to the forums.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Welcome to the forum Justin.

The Germans always thought that a 9 mm was a large caliber handgun capable of taking to any gunfight. So don't discount the 9 mm as a primary carry pistol. It will handle 90+% of the situations that you will ever encounter provided you learn how to shoot it well.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Justin.

Good choice on that Ruger, I've had a Mark II for a while, but nothing larger in a Ruger.

I live in Fairfax County. What part of MD are you from?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, what a nice welcome :)

Well, I called the gun store, and they hadn't gotten the reply from MSP (state police) on my background check yet. They asked if I would mind waiting til Wednesday. If they haven't heard a no by then they'll let me have it. I guess it's good, it'll teach me some patience, but man I hate waiting. I should move to Colorado.

For those that don't live in this fine state, there's a waiting period, you can only buy one a month, and the same waiting period applies if its your first gun or your fifth. They do criminal background checks and they check your health records to ensure you haven't been diagnosed w/ a mental disability or something. Plus you have to watch a 10-minute safety video, which wasn't too bad. Atleast they don't have the magazine size requirement, so I get my two 17-round magazines. Also, in Montgomery County where I live I've never seen a gun show, and the licensed dealers where you can buy handguns are far and few between. Not many sports stores around here are even selling rifles and shotguns anymore.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Holy cow. You definitely should move here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I said I didn't want a ccw permit, but I was looking around on some different websites, and it looks like it's a good thing I don't want one. Apparently the state police don't like to give them out at all. You've gotta have a darn good reason to carry, time to go to a review hearing, and money to pay the $175 every two years, just for the privilege of being allowed your 2nd amendment rights. Never realized how un-friendly MD is to gun owners.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
So long as you meet all the requirements, the sheriff is required by law to issue one here.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
You probably know that VA is a shall issue state. As long as you're not a criminal, by law you get your permit.

If it's not issued in 45 days, they are required to give you a temporary permit.

Can you hear the siren call from across the river? We'd be glad to have you.

PS-Maryland is not very gun friendly in general, Montgomery County is the worst. After all, you may put your eye out. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, I sure didn't. Not sure if I could convince the wife to move just so I can carry though :)

Well, I picked up my SR9 today! I'm so excited. I already read the owners manual and field stripped it twice. I got two boxes of winchester ammo for this weekend (good price). The guys at the shop said I had to come back afterwards and tell them how it shot, this was the first one they had sold, newly legal in MD! When I go back I'll pick up some hollowpoints for at home, and the owner is a member at the local IWLA, so we were talking about that, and he said he'd sponsor my application if I wanted to join. So I'll do that. Plus Ruger has a $10 off the membership fee to the NRA, so I'll take advantage of that too.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico. Be sure to give us a range report on your new Ruger!

KYPD,

~Rick
a/k/a "The Gunrunner"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, I intend to :) Full report on your desk by the next morning...

I got 100 rounds to put it through the paces. From what I've heard about the gun it can take it and more, so we'll see.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Welcome!

Baldy said:
I would use Winchester White Box for a few hundred rounds
Yup! That's what I use............... Cheap enough to keep you shooting when you want. Look into getting Federal HydraShoks for self-defense rounds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, that's what I ended up getting. Two boxes for a little over $24, so that's what, 24cents a round. Not bad at all, it shot well, accurate, and didn't leave the gun too dirty. I ran through all those when at the range and had to buy more. They didn't have the winchester, and ofcourse charged a little more for whatever it was I got.

I'm going to get some Federal hollowpoint when I go back, and I'll keep the 17-round clips loaded with that at home.

They sell rifle ammo in bulk boxes, do they have anything like that for pistol ammo? I know I'm going to be doing a lot more range target shooting than home protection shooting :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts