National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Aim true !
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to print it. I don't know if this is a good idea. I can see the dishonest hunters printing more than one. As of now i know some who use their tags just to get the deer out if the woods and home. And use it over and over.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just had to print it. I don't know if this is a good idea. I can see the dishonest hunters printing more than one. As of now i know some who use their tags just to get the deer out if the woods and home. And use it over and over.
Guys been doing that in my State for decades. The regular store issued ones. They don't use the tag on the deer which is required. Just drag it out unseen. Then go back later for another deer. And more if they can.

Bet if you tried to print more than one, they would not let you. No matter how issued to you, if a Warden is not on site, it all comes down to hunter honesty. Too many are not a bit honest about their tags here. Been this way every where I have heard for decades. Pretty sad bunch does this and I do not call them hunters.

·
Super Moderator
16,051 Posts
We can kill 5 deer a season. I can't imagine why anyone would want more than that.

In Texas, the right tag must be removed from the license and the date cut out. The tag is then filled out with ranch and county it was killed in. It is then attached to some permanent location on the carcass where it will remain until its final destination. Then the corresponding log location is filled out on the license itself . All of this is supposed to take place prior to moving the deer from where it fell. If any part of the deer is given to someone else the tag owner must fill out a Wildlife Resource Document with all pertinent information and the receiver's name and address. The animal may be skinned and quartered in camp. It may be processed further if cold storage is present on the property.

There is government red tape attacked to nearly every aspect of our lives.

On the other hand, If you own property, Live on the property, hunt on that property and the animal nor any part of it never leaves the property, you don't even need a hunting license....

Alan

Note: That's the way I remember it the last time I looked or cared about a deer tag...

·
Aim true !
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know a guy who used to cut them up in the woods. Put the meat in a cooler and head out. He almost got caught. He was honest and reported his bear kill. The game warden said ''we been tracking you for 25 years'' He read between the lines and got rid of all his antlers and meat. Before they showed up at his house. He's been on the straight and narrow ever since. There is a family of hunting outlaws. They are like the mafia. Report them and you will end up in a mine shaft. i agree no one needs to shoot more deer than they need to feed their family.

·
AZHerper
5,922 Posts
I always followed the law with my deer hunting. However, I was raised in Utah and we could always get extra tags if we wanted them. I only butchered one myself. Big mistake. Lovely backstraps but the rest of it turned out to be mostly ground venison and stew meat. However, it was delicious. I love venison! Needless to say, I had subsequent deer professionally butchered. :D

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
Growing up in my family everyone got a tag which meant 5. If they gave out doe tags(which they did most years) it was 10 and occasioanlly if the heard was large they would issue two doe tags to some people. Then there was bow and muzzle loader tags. We never even came close to filling all the tags but often times we had way more meat than room but we always found people to give it to. There was also a big problem of people jacking deer in the middle of the night, some were caught and some were not. There were at least two families that were very poor and hunted game all year. They didn't do it to be outlaws or to get trophies, they did it to survive. Everyone pretty much looked the other way when it came to them, even the game wardens I believe.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Only tags in Florida are land owner doe tags. Usually club leases get these. The ranch I hunt just uses the Zone 3 day doe hunt, those are reported like Bucks using the State reporting app on your phone. Turkey’s will be reported this year for the first time.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Here in Jersey we have unlimited does with any weapon from the beginning of September to the end of January. Bucks are one per season but in some areas you can buy additional buck tags. Their mission is to sell as many licenses and tags as possible. I spend about $75 a year on licenses.

·
Aim true !
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At one time we could use our tag that came with the basic license. For archery and flintlock for buck or doe. We can still do that with flintlock season.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,594 Posts
I don't know how it is there, but here, you have to call it in immediately with the measurements and you are given a control number that has to be written on the tag. That prevents the reuse. Measurements don't match and you may find yourself in hot water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts