National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just enough wood in this flick to make two stocks and a forend. it was the last of a very large tree given to me by Hurricane Hugo. The photos do not even come close to doing this piece of lumber justice. I hope to get this project sanded and sealed ASAP. I'll post as I go along.
It's a good thing that I don't have to rely on my picture taking abilities to buy my whisky. I'd have to become a tee tootler. :thumbsup:

IM000875.JPG IM000877.JPG IM000869.JPG IM000879.JPG

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is another chunk off the tree that I did that 20 ga. Elsie several years ago. I gave the othe half of this block to Alan for the Enders he found in that barn.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It helps a bit. At least the flash glare doesn't wipe out this incredible color and grain pattern.

IM000873.JPG IM000870.JPG IM000881.JPG

·
Super Moderator
14,152 Posts
That's a fine piece of wood Roy. Certainly to good to waste on me! Thanks, I appreciate it.

Alan

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I told you I would sell it for what I have in it. "0". Might call it a present from mother nature, or Hurrican Hugo. Now you gotta spend lots of time scrubbing it to make it come alive.:lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
He's got wood!

That's going to be a gorgeous stock........... Wow.

--Wag--

·
Aim true !
9,512 Posts
I love the grain. Its going to be awesome when your done with it.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
600 grit final sand down, Trueoil finish. Lots of rubbing.
The first phase "Butt stock" is done. Next step fore end.

IM000904.JPG

IM000902.JPG
IM000903.JPG
IM000905.JPG

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Oh wow that just looks amazing! I so wish i had those skills!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh wow that just looks amazing! I so wish i had those skills!!!!!!
Thank you. But you won't learn any younger. Semi inletted stocks are a step by step process. Macon has several affordable semi inlet stock for sale. Then check out Youtube. There are several tutorials that will help you through the process.
No I don't work for Macon. I am impressed with the quality of inletting they do. If you don't have your own wood they have warehouses full of really fine blanks.

·
Aim true !
9,512 Posts
Wow it came out totally awesome! That is one unique stock there for sure. I love it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Thank you. But you won't learn any younger. Semi inletted stocks are a step by step process. Macon has several affordable semi inlet stock for sale. Then check out Youtube. There are several tutorials that will help you through the process.
No I don't work for Macon. I am impressed with the quality of inletting they do. If you don't have your own wood they have warehouses full of really fine blanks.
I still wouldn't have the skills or patience to do this type of wood working. I'm more of a table saw and router type of guy, what you're doing is more like art work.
This is the type of stuff i do.
20190615_185016[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
That’s one beautiful piece of wood. I can’t wait to see it finished. Put some of that minwax Jacobean on it with some varnish to seal it. That way I can rescue it and grab all the glory! Lol.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stamp you got a long wait for me to use any of that stuff. I am not even real crazy about using TrueOil or any other stock sealant on the wood. I will ultimatley work this finish down to a soft luster. Plastic shine on my stocks ? :yikes1: I do it to create a weather seal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts