National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new PSA PA-10 outfitted with a Vortex Crossfire II 6x24 to the 100 yd range today for its maiden outing. Used S&B 147 gr FMJ and some Winchester white box (also 147gr FMJ)
Three items I will eventually correct...

• I miss my 3.5lb Rise trigger I put in my AR15... This PA-10 trigger is crisp, but measures at 5.5lbs
  • I miss my BAD lever... It's awkward to have a non-ambi charging handle and try and lock the bolt back when seated at a bench and using a bipod
  • I miss my ambi oversized charging handle... Makes operating the AR platform helpful for me

General observations

• The rifle performed well... Cycled all the ammo and the 20rd PMAG dropped free like a champ
  • As expected, the recoil was so much easier on my shoulder than my bolt action Savage in the same caliber
  • My shooting was not stellar. I was able to keep a couple of the 'groups of three' fairly close... But I generally always had a flyer.
  • I do believe my lack of trigger discipline was the problem
  • There was no discernible difference in the ammo I tried
  • I'll need to try some different ammo to see if my rifle likes something better

Temp was 50 and only light wind
my next trip will be to the 200 yd range to shoot some steel

Traffic sign Line Sign Signage Design
Traffic sign Sign Signage

· Live Free
4,516 Posts
I am guessing that reality is that you got lucky when a couple shots grouped up pretty good; that ammo is not known for remarkable accuracy. From what I have observed, any time 147 fmj bullets are used, accuracy tends to be poor because they are not great bullets to begin with. Most all 147 fmj bullets are produced for machine guns where accuracy is not as important since you are spraying bullets anyway. I have a rather large supply of the bullets that I reload with, and they are good for around 2 moa at best. I bet if you get a little better ammo you will see some improvements right away. I know there is always the factor of new gun and trigger etc, but your targets lack any consistency for an experienced shooter like yourself...thus I suspect ammo will help a bunch!

I agree with the need for an ambi charging handle; big asset for bench shooting and with a scope hanging over the handle. 5.5 pounds for the trigger is not too bad (combat trigger) if it is crisp as you say, but a little lighter would help for long range work. I put JARD triggers in my AR 15 and AR 10. Both of them are adjusted just a fuzz above 3lbs. and they work superbly for distance shooting, but not too light for the platform.

Shooting .308 in a semi-auto is so much more easier on the shoulder than a bolt gun...problem for me is I tend to shoot a lot more ammo because of the semi-auto and lighter felt recoil. My AR10 is no feather either, so the weight helps mitigate recoil too.

Thanks for the range report! Enjoy!

· Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestions... I will investigate different ammo

· Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First upgrade came today

· Registered
3,573 Posts
I like the AR10 platform. I have a DPMS and so far it has been a good shooter.
I do plan on a trigger upgrade but still have not decided on which.
A guy at work I know had an AR10and 15 custom built with a side charging handle. I really liked that option. So much easier to manipulate especially with a scope hanging off it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.