National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a new bolt action rifle in the $500-$700 range chambered in .308 win. I want to hunt with it but mainly use it as a very accurate target range rifle up to 500y or so. After my research, I've narrowed it down to the remington 700 sps tactical or the Savage 10 FCP. I'm not stuck on these guns though (open to suggestions). I also need LOTS of advice on an optic and a mounting setup for the rifle I buy. Im thinking $200-$300 on the optic. And you could share your preference on a bipod as well.

· Registered
895 Posts
The Remington 700 would be a good start with the most possibilities to upgrade. I have a Sendero, it's more than you want to spend, but there are several models of the 700 that fit your budget. The Remington Bolt has a good rep and there are hundreds of modifications you can make to increase the accuracy.

· Registered
3,457 Posts
I just bought a Savage Axis II for $429 with a scope. The scope is nothing special. Good up to 200 yards but anything over that you might want to look at a better scope. My one suggestion if you go with the Axis line is be sure to get the Axis II. The original Axis has been known to have a poor trigger and the Axis II has the Accutrigger where you can adjust it with minimal work and pretty much no tools required.

· Registered
4,452 Posts
I only have experience with a couple good bolt-actions, the Browning X-Bolt,

and the Ruger M77 MK II. IMHO, the Ruger is a better rifle, overall.

But you are talking about long, long yardage for a cheap scope. You want

to spend a higher proportion for the optic VS gun. And don't cheap out on

the mounting hardware. Look to spend @60-70% of your moolah or more

on your optics.

· Registered
92 Posts
I got the Strike Eagle from Vortex on two carbine-length AR's and it's a stellar 1-6 power. They say the out to full power on 6 is the maximum it's effective at. For the money, you'd be hard pressed to find another I think for the money, the Primary Arms didn't have enough eye relief. Buy my Vortex 1-6 came out on top. It definitely lives up to their 500 plus yards they claim. I'm no marks(wo)men at all by any sort of the stretch.

· Registered
92 Posts
There's a $999 AR .308 I'm tempted to buy from Brownells all you'd need is a stock and forend. They got good rifles i've heard. I just might go take a road trip to Tacoma and visit Aero Precision myself. But it's snowing here and Blewett Pass is getting hammered.

· Registered
3,496 Posts
Tikka T3 and a Zeiss Terra 3X9X42 is a good setup (I have this setup in 7mm-08). I likes Remington 120gr HP's the best so far.
If you shop around you could possibly find the rife for around $500.00 used. The scope can be had for just north of $300.00

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.