National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a J.P Sauer & Sohn Sual Cal 7.65

serial numbers are #296263 with a eagle over a N below it.

Also another eagle over a N and top of that.

black grip (with S&S symbol on it, leather holster, Clip ( with S&S symbol on the bottom and CAL7.65)

Other side of the gun reads "PATENT"

In front of the trigger seems to read "37"

Need some more info on this gun and maybe some help in the legal side ( such as becoming the legal owner of it) it is NOT stolen but found.

Attachments

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
Sauer 38H pistol

J. P. Sauer & Sohn (sons) was (still is to some degree) a gunmaker in Germany since - uh - some time ago. They are the company who entered into a partial joint venture with Schweizerische Industriegesellschaft (which means "Swiss Industrial Company" and is usually shortened to SIG) and called the resulting company 'SIG-Sauer'.

The pistol you present here is the "38H" model; chambered in 7.65 mm (Browning), in the U. S. known as .32 ACP. It was designed between WWI and WWII, and used by the German Army during WWII as a second issue sidearm. There are some commercial ones I believe, but they are rarer than the military marked pistols. The 'S&S' markings represent the manufacturer, Sauer & Sons.

They were a double action/single action type pistol. The pistol is a sound design and production was pretty decent; they are usable and reliable guns, once one accepts the caliber limitation.

The value of these guns vary. The easiest way to get an idea of the value is to look on line at various gun action or sales sites and compare. Look for Sauer 38H.

Becoming legal owner of a found gun? Odd question.

I personally would be suspect of a 'found' pistol. It could well be stolen and discarded or used in a crime and discarded. Depending on where one lives, one must possess certain qualifications to own a firearm; be a certain age, be free from criminal convictions, be of sound mind and so forth. In some states, such as New York, California or Illinois, one should be a major contributor to the current governor as well.

I would check on line about 'buying' a pistol and see what restrictions your state, city or country prescribes.

Good luck.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
28,646 Posts
Need some more info on this gun and maybe some help in the legal side ( such as becoming the legal owner of it) it is NOT stolen but found.
That depends on how you "found" it.

Reactions: Archie
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.