National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a 24” 6.5 creedmoor build. After getting everything needed putting the barrel, gas block and tube, upper and rail together, I checked how the BCG and charging handle worked. The bolt head of the BCG I purchased would not go into the star chamber of the barrel. Being a novice, I went to a Gun smith for answers. He took one of his BCGs and tried it and it worked. He told me the BCG he used was of better quality than the one I’d purchased. I bought that BCG and it’s been fine. When I finished the lower receiver, I put it all together and did a snap cap function test. It did very well. I did it a few times with no problems. Once done, I decided to check headspace. I took the bolt out of the BCG, removed the cotter pin took out the firing pin and cam. I then took out the extractor and the injector. I then replaced the cam and the firing pin into the the bolt and put it back into the BCG and proceeded with the go/no go test. I inserted the 6.5 creedmoor go gauge into the barrel and slowly slid the BCG into the barrel and it won’t pass go. Someone please advise. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Didn't you answer your own question? You have a headspace issue.

Reactions: Stevejet

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,916 Posts
Take it back to a competent gunsmith with your findings. Take your gauges with you.

·
Registered
14,107 Posts
Maybe I'm not reading it right or i don't fully understand. Your bolt won't fully go into battery right? The gunsmiths bolt did, did he try yours too or just his own? If he did try yours did he give any explaination other than his bolt is better than yours? If your bolt won't go into battery how did you do the headspace check? Did you use another bolt or the original one? If you used the original one and it worked without the extractor then i would start there. Without going and taking one apart and looking I'm not sure if the extractor can be installed wrong or be stuck out too far to interfere with the bolt closing or not but like i said if your bolt wouldn't work with it but did without it then that's where i would start. Take the upper off and try putting the bolt in while it's upside down and look in there and see if you see anything causing it not fully seat and also take your BCG out and move the bolt head by hand and see if anything might be binding inside the bolt causing it to not rotate easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts