National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,
I don't know much about guns so I hope there is a gun expert who could answer some questions :)

Is it possible to tell if someone using a glock is using blanks by observing the gun flare upon firing, or the sound of the shot, or gun recoil?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Probably not without seeing/hearing the real bullet being fired to compare the two together. Unless you were real familuar with the sound of your normal round.

I can tell the difference in the sound that different loads make if there is a big difference between them. If they are about the same then no.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Saw a news article one time. A kid was fooling around. Shot his friend with a blank. The wad hit the friend in the chest. The friend died of a heart attack.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.
What about gun recoil of blanks vs real bullets?
Is it a big difference that would be visible for a spectator?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,879 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
What about gun recoil of blanks vs real bullets?
Is it a big difference that would be visible for a spectator?
Generally not. Spectators are not going to be viewing recoil and thinking 'that thing has blanks'! Besides gun recoil can be faked by the person holding the gun, even without firing a shot.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Hi there,
I don't know much about guns so I hope there is a gun expert who could answer some questions :)

Is it possible to tell if someone using a glock is using blanks by observing the gun flare upon firing, or the sound of the shot, or gun recoil?
Thanks in advance.
One more thing about blanks. They aren't blank. They do fire a projectile, or rather they can. The projectile is not lead but a paper wadding that is used to keep the blank round in one piece. This wadding can exit the barrel moving fast enough to penetrate at close range. So if all of this is due to some plan for a back yard movie production or a prank... DON'T! This could lead to a trip to the ER and free publicity for your movie on the 6 O-clock news. Publicity photos provided by the local police.

Rule #2 Never point the muzzle of a fire arm at anything you do not wish to destroy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no, I wouldn't do such a stupid thing.
Just trying to figure out if an expert would know if blanks are being used or not, based on a video recording.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yes an expert would know the difference based on a video recording.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anyone with experience would like to review the video pls tell me.
I am happy to share it in a forum private message, so I don't break any forum rules here.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
Post the video here in this thread.

I seriously doubt you will break any rules.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
I got some .22 blanks from a high school shop teacher (still have most of them) and i wanted to see how they penetrate so i shot a pillow. It went into the pillow but can't remember if it came out plus i set it on fire...yeah mom was pissed.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,174 Posts
Recoil yes, if you saw the movie Lucy when she walks back to the office of the big bad Korean mafioso and she shoots 2 Springfield Armory operator trough the door in slow mo, you can see that the blanks have enough power to rack the slides but there's no way miss Lucy could shoot those the way she did in that movie with real rounds. But that's Hollywood

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Blanks can kill.....most autos need the barrel plugged for the gun to cycle correctly......other than that not really if ear protection is used....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
These questions are related to the recent Virginia Shooting. Many claim it was a hoax, but I heard no reviews of experts yet, that is why I am here.
Some of you have probably seen the video. Can you tell if the gun shoots are fake or real?

(Shooting at 1:00 on video timer)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Side by side video review, comparing with another glock:
(recomend lowering volume, sound is loud and broken from 1:52)

He claims there is no casing ejection, but I think it's just not very visible because of video quality:

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,174 Posts
I've heard cops claim to have emptied a mag on a guy and he kept on going but the 2 or 3 first shots on the girl seemed dead on and she ran as if she was scared by the noise. When you're hit from such a short distance multiple times i'm "guessing" at least your knees are going to fail you and you're not going to be able to run like she did My two bits

Here's a live video of someone being shot from about 20-25 feet (jump to 1:40 )

Edit: on your phone video even if the first shot on the girl was a miss, we would've seen wood fly right behind her in the pegs of the guard rail

But MY questions are how can you fake dead peoples? Are they dead ? And why fake this whole thing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I've heard cops claim to have emptied a mag on a guy and he kept on going but the 2 or 3 first shots on the girl seemed dead on and she ran as if she was scared by the noise. When you're hit from such a short distance multiple times i'm "guessing" at least your knees are going to fail you and you're not going to be able to run like she did My two bits
Edit: on your phone video even if the first shot on the girl was a miss, we would've seen wood fly right behind her in the pegs of the guard rail
Exactly, that was my thought immediately when watching the shooting. How can a 19 year old skinny girl, get shot at close range several times and not be affected by bullet impact?
But this is just from my common sense, I do not have gun experience.
But MY questions are how can you fake dead peoples? Are they dead ? And why fake this whole thing?
Many say it is about gun laws, which I think is right.
Would be good to get the opinion of more experienced folks about this shooting.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,174 Posts
No, what you need is to see the dead girl alive. I would focus my research on that, get undeniable proof that she and the camera man is dead, if you cant prove that they are, they're not

Edit: Like they say, you CAN hide from some folks sometimes, but you CAN'T hide from everyone for ever unless you really are dead. And i think faking a death certificate is a federal offence so i don't think they went that far just to make a point about anything

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
My opinion as a person who has shot thousands of rounds out of Glocks and carried a Glock everyday for the last 22 years....

Not a hoax but that has nothing to do with the Glock, and everything to do with common sense.

The first rule of a hoax is: Two people can keep a secret but only if one of them is dead. There are far too many people that would have had to be involved in this for it to be a hoax. First the victims and the shooter. Then the entire management of what ever facility the interview is taking place at. Then the paramedics that responded to the incident would have to be willing to put not just their jobs but their licenses on the line. Faking a medical report is a HUGE no no. Then every cop who showed up would also have to be willing to put his/her badge on the line. Autopsy reports are a matter of public record, so the medical examiner would have to be in on it too. Then we can add in the staff of the hospital emergency room the the victims were taken to to be pronounced dead. The morgue attendants.... And probably the cleaning staff of the hospital as well. Not to mention the victims families.

Nope... Too many people with too much to loose if it ever came out.

Now about the gun. The video proves nothing. There are many different variants that will determine how a gun acts when it is fired. The fireball or lack of a fireball can be the result of the frame rate of the camera. OR the manufacturer of the rounds being fired. OR The powder that was used to reload the rounds. OR the primer that was used to ignite the powder. OR how clean the barrel of the gun was. OR the amount of powder that was used. Reloads act differently than off the shelf ammo. Full metal jacket rounds act differently than hollow points, 180 gr slugs act differently than 155 gr slugs. ( Assuming the gun used was a .40 caliber ) A " +P+ " round will have a different muzzle blast than a standard load... Too many variants to make a call on.

shooting a gun at night - Bing Videos

In this video a person shoots a Glock G22C at night. At about the 45 seconds point he fires his first shot... No muzzle flash in the video at all. Every round after that has a muzzle flash. At the 1:00 minute mark he takes some shots from the side. After the first two rounds again the muzzle flash goes away. I assure you from experience there was a flash on every round. ( This video is not mine and I do not know who made it and I was not there at the time ) The camera just missed it.

Sadly.... Not a hoax.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
My opinion as a person who has shot thousands of rounds out of Glocks and carried a Glock everyday for the last 22 years....
Not a hoax but that has nothing to do with the Glock, and everything to do with common sense.

The first rule of a hoax is: Two people can keep a secret but only if one of them is dead. There are far too many people that would have had to be involved in this for it to be a hoax. First the victims and the shooter. Then the entire management of what ever facility the interview is taking place at. Then the paramedics that responded to the incident would have to be willing to put not just their jobs but their licenses on the line. Faking a medical report is a HUGE no no. Then every cop who showed up would also have to be willing to put his/her badge on the line. Autopsy reports are a matter of public record, so the medical examiner would have to be in on it too. Then we can add in the staff of the hospital emergency room the the victims were taken to to be pronounced dead. The morgue attendants.... And probably the cleaning staff of the hospital as well. Not to mention the victims families.
Nope... Too many people with too much to loose if it ever came out.
You make good points, will try to see what other info is out there: medical report, autopsy report and first response team (if there was one).
Maybe then I can say without a doubt what happened... who knows heh

Now about the gun. The video proves nothing. There are many different variants that will determine how a gun acts when it is fired. The fireball or lack of a fireball can be the result of the frame rate of the camera. OR the manufacturer of the rounds being fired. OR The powder that was used to reload the rounds. OR the primer that was used to ignite the powder. OR how clean the barrel of the gun was. OR the amount of powder that was used. Reloads act differently than off the shelf ammo. Full metal jacket rounds act differently than hollow points, 180 gr slugs act differently than 155 gr slugs. ( Assuming the gun used was a .40 caliber ) A " +P+ " round will have a different muzzle blast than a standard load... Too many variants to make a call on.
shooting a gun at night - Bing Videos
In this video a person shoots a Glock G22C at night. At about the 45 seconds point he fires his first shot... No muzzle flash in the video at all. Every round after that has a muzzle flash. At the 1:00 minute mark he takes some shots from the side. After the first two rounds again the muzzle flash goes away. I assure you from experience there was a flash on every round. ( This video is not mine and I do not know who made it and I was not there at the time ) The camera just missed it.
Sadly.... Not a hoax.
What about the close range, shot impact on a victim weighing around 70kg (=154pounds)? Seems that she was shot 3 times before she started running.
I have heard of ppl getting shot multiple times and still stand, but I don't know if there is any factors for that to happen.
This is all speculation coming from me, but I assume a gun expert would know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts