National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I stumbled on this forum looking for information on three handguns I inherited recentley. I would appreciate if someone could give me any info on these, I suspect they are european but I have no clue about guns as these three are my first pieces.

from top to bottom

The top one has 6 round revolver and it has a stamped makermark: H&B

the smaller revolver has 6 rounds also, it has stamped two logos and a U stamped beneath the logos, I could try to get photos of the logos if there is any interest.

The double barrel has no markings but I suspect it to be very old, the two triggers wont come down unless you cock it.

Please share your wisdom if you have any idea of the makers or the date of manufacture on these pieces. Best Regards

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
All three are chambered for "pinfire" cartridges. They were made sometime between the late 1870's and mid 1890's, when pinfires ignition system was supplanted by the center-fire system for major calibers.
The revolvers appear to be of the "French" pattern and could have been made in either France or Belgium. The double is a pattern generally termed "Howdah" style, which was intended, initially, as a last ditch hunting arm. It is difficult to determine a manufacturer without details on all markings - or in the absence of any other markings - darn near impossible to determine. The double barrel pistol is most likely the oldest of the trio - many of these were made to take advantage of the "new" pin-fire internally primed system, before the system was incorporated into revolver technology. They do have collector value, but you would need to take them to an "expert" for a hands on inspection to determine valuation.
If you can provide pictures of all the letters and "symbols" you can find ANYWHERE on the pieces, including under the grips on the grip frame, we may be able to help a bit more in IDing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your informative answer. I have tried my best to photograph the makers marks on the two revolvers, sadly the double barrel doesnt have any markings

The bigger revolver has the lettering: H&B stamped tvice, on the barrel and on the frame

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The smaller revolver has three stamped markings. Tvice somekind of two stamped markings with a capital U beaneath on the revolver itself and on the frame. Also it has the numbers: 66 stamped on the barrel

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
The "Crown" has been a British proof mark since the 1850s.

The "Crown over a U" was an East German (Suhl) black powder inspection mark in the 1950s and 60s.

My books do not show a "Crown over a Crown over a U" proof mark.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
As Popeye says, the marks are a bit confusing. However, the "crown with a cross" proof is an old German proof mark. Since the proof mark section in the "Blue Book", only lists German marks going back into the 1950's, I'm thinking that those are carry-overs from well before that era. My best guess, without doing a lot of further internet search, would be German proofed at ULM. You may have luck checking by doing a Google seach on "Proof Marks", adding each country individually or "European".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts