National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after cleaning this old Norinco SKS of cosmoline and oiling it up, I went to reassemble the darn thing and it went together just fine up until I went to lock it up with the takedown pin. Lo and behold the pin got stuck just shy of going through the opposite end, i.e. there's a few millimeters of pin showing out the right side of the rifle.

I've tried spraying it with WD40, hitting it with a hammer in both directions, and what's more I think that the little lever attached to the pin is swinging freely, not turning the pin anymore.

It's not safe to shoot in this condition, right? Any ideas for fixes?

·
5,082 Posts
I would advise:
Gently remove pin with correct size punch set and rubber or brass gun mallet. Gently.
Obtain replacement pin with lever and stud pin if so equipped. Make sure keyhole opening hasn't been damaged.
"Some" replacement pins have complaints of being of very poor pot metal or cheap. Purchase quality reviewed part for "your" model.
Align final assembly with appropriate size punch or drill shaft to test before final insert of pin.
Read then reread assembly procedures on ak/ar dedicated forums to make sure you are doing it right.
No, do not fire until properly fixed.
DON'T let your next post be " hey guys, took trip to ER to get dust cover outta my eye....yuk yuk "

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@1shot1k
But what would happen if it's currently in the "locked" position and I can't rotate the actual pin because the lever is loose? Won't that damage whatever the pin locks against (I'm horrible with terminology)? I'd thought there was either a nub or something in the middle of the pin that locks against something within the rifle...or is it the other way around and something in the rifle locks into a divot in the pin?

And no worries about ER trips, this thing won't be fired until it's 100% back together.

·
5,082 Posts
Yes, you will have to get pin to rotate somehow to facilitate removal.
At this point, you should consider taking it to a reputable smith.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
First: Put your hammer and WD40 away.

Now, can you position the pin so you can remove the dust cover?

I await your answer so we can properly troubleshoot and fix this problem.

·
54,933 Posts

Lever pointing up showing one side of the pin

Lever pointing down to show the other side of the pin

When you rotate the latch forward and down, the pressed in pin stub will rotate rearward and press into a milled out area on the inside-back of the receiver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@Popeye

Not without tools. I think that the lever is rotating freely while the pin is stuck in a currently unknown position. There are some scratch marks on the left side of the pin and I don't see those rotating as I turn the lever. There's about three millimeters of pin showing between the lever and the right side of the dust cover so maybe I could get some needle nose pliers in there. However, even then it'd be the world's greatest guessing game as to where the divot in the pin is currently at.

·
54,933 Posts
If you can get a pair of needle nosed pliers on the pin, you can slowly rotate it while applying pressure to pull the pin out. Once the pin is released and you can remove the dust cover, remove the pin, discard it and purchase a replacement pin.

Replacement pins run the gamut from pure crap to very good. Usually, the more you pay (within reason) the better quality you get.

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
You may be able to simply squeeze the lever around the pin causing it to tighten up enough to turn it. this may keep you from scratching the side of the dust cover.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
Chances ar though that the hammering wedged the dog into a place it is not supposed to be, making it difficult to turn. As was suggested, a trip to the gunsmith may be your best bet.

Alan

·
5,082 Posts
A person, after hammering, who could not already figure out what Popeye advised, was why I said visit smith.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,468 Posts
Painter's tape on parts you do not want scratched may be advisable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts