National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get some more information on this revolver. From the research I have done, I am rather confident that it is a Belgium made, 1840-1890's pinifre revolver. It has two distinct markings, one on the body of the gun, and one on the cylinder. The body has an F over an R, with a crown in the middle, and what looks to be a small x or star over the F. The cylinder marking is an oval with E L G inside it, and a crown over it.

I would like to learn more about its heritage, and although I am not interested in selling it, a possible value. CM140723-17513607.jpg CM140723-17512706.jpg View attachment 10462 CM140723-18090308.jpg CM140723-18093110.jpg

Attachments

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
Yup. Belgian proofs. Its not a pinfire. Its a centerfire of some sort. The hammer mounted firing pin tells me that. The 'firing pin' is mounted on each cartridge with a pinfire. That's an interesting grip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The grip is what has thrown me off the most when looking it up... I can't find anything similar to relate it to in order to get more information...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it normal for the cylinder to have different markings than the body itself? Only the cylinder itself has the E L G marking on it. The body only has F and R with a crown in the middle, which I am unable to find that marking online anywhere.. They are definitely original and made for one another, its just odd for me that they have different markings.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
The markings are proof marks https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=proof+marks+on+guns

This means parts, and entire guns, were 'proof' tested to meet strength standards of the day. Different parts of revolvers are proofed differently (the cylinder must withstand higher pressures than the frame) thus, different proof marks on different parts.

·
Super Moderator
14,628 Posts
I'm going to bet that grip would put a serious crease in the web of your hand.

Alan

Reactions: Steyr Man 146

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
odd looking coat gun or vest gun I`d also venture .32 sweet grips.....I`m not sure period correct but stranger things have been done to guns.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts