National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this gun in from someone needing money years ago. I'm think I remember him saying it was a 30.06. This guy was in Nam. The entire gun metal is O.D. green and has a very unique Bolt and bolt release. The safety is different as well. IMG_20200208_170038_1581206145968.jpg IMG_20200208_170114_1581206091021.jpg

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It is an M1903 Springfield. One that has been sporterized at some point. Noting the parkerized finish on the receiver it is probably an M1903 A3 action.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
M1903A4 Modified at some point in its life

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea...I've been digging through info and I think it's an A4. It's got the dove tail mount in the rear receiver. There's a redfield scope mount and a cheap SPI scope on it. Looks like someone modified the stock. I'm taking the scope off today to get a better look at the numbers. It has /SC then a proof stamp that looks like a bomb with flame coming out the top. Then 9 43 all stamped on the top end of the barrel. Two grooves where the front sight mount should be. There's a P stamped on the bottom side of the barrel at the end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It still has original sling with the brass claws and sling mounts. Pretty ratty but it's all there

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
I like the fact that it was made by the typewriter company. My brother has a few different Garands that are made by different companies than gun companies. He has a Rock ol la, the juke box company. One by National Postal Meter, one by IBM and one from International Harvester.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hell yea.... I guess like anyone would, I got all excited reading up on the history. Got a little caught up in it. So the 03A3 Was a Late '43 gun. The bolt has R's on it twice. The scope is shot, but now the thoughts go to New Scope? New Stock? How much? Do I go back in time? Or just try and make a decent shooter out of it. I think a little time might tell.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
I like the fact that it was made by the typewriter company. My brother has a few different Garands that are made by different companies than gun companies. He has a Rock ol la, the juke box company. One by National Postal Meter, one by IBM and one from International Harvester.
All US military M1 Garands were made by only four entities.

SA (Springfield Armory)
WRA (Winchester Repeating Arms)
HRA (Harrington & Richardson Arms)
IHC (International Harvester Co.)

Many entities made M1 .30 Carbines, including Rock Ola, National Postal Meter & IBM.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Hell yea.... I guess like anyone would, I got all excited reading up on the history. Got a little caught up in it. So the 03A3 Was a Late '43 gun. The bolt has R's on it twice. The scope is shot, but now the thoughts go to New Scope? New Stock? How much? Do I go back in time? Or just try and make a decent shooter out of it. I think a little time might tell.

You could put that back to original BUT it's been drilled and tapped so it's lost most of it's collector value. These are probably one of the most sporterized military guns out there. I have one and love it but i want an original too. You can buy stocks, sights, bands etc but by the time you buy all the parts you need you would be further ahead to buy a unmolested version. Depending on maker and condition they can be readily found in the $800-1000 or so range for a decent shooter. You will also see many into the thousands that are numbers matching, certain minor variations, guns that have some sort of provenience etc. but the plain jane shooters are still fairly reasonable if you look around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts