National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there everyone! This is my first post, and not the last. I finally decided I needed help with a few of my guns. Whether it be age, price, blah blah blah.

I was cleaning a bunch of my grandpas old guns, which I inherited last year when my grandma passed as well. Among them, is this single shot shotgun.

I can't find a model number on it yet, I didn't open it up completely to look, but there isn't even a model number under the forearm, or under the barrel where it fits into the whole receiver (i apologize if I use any improper terms).

Info I DO have on it.
-Says "Hiawatha" on the side.
-Top of the barrel says "Proof Tested 12 Gauge Full Choke"
-Serial Number is in 54***
-Under butt plate has the number "4819"

I'm not sure if it's 2 3/4 or a 3 inch. A 3 inch fits in the barrel, which it SHOULD'NT if it can't shoot them, but I don't think I will test this unless I have proof its 3 inch. :p

I'll upload pics if necessary, but I found the same gun online with pics, but unfortunately they also did not get any answers on what this gun is.

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/i-have-a-12-gauge-hiawatha-ser12083-update-5348518.html

Thanks all! I may need your help on some other guns as well!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already checked both sites. My gun is not the model 594, as the release to crack open the barrel is on the side of that gun. Mine is right behind the hammer like most.

I also checked that site with the list of Hiawatha guns, and after googling all of the models, still none of my gun popped up on images or on regular search for multiple pages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"My gun is not the model 594, as the release to crack open the barrel is on the side of that gun. Mine is right behind the hammer like most."

Yes, the gun I found which is the same as mine does have the lever on the back. Which the 594 doesn't, which is what the forum post you linked was about.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Ok
I was very wrong; Again.

"crack open the barrel Mine is right behind the hammer like most."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Won't let me edit my post.

It's not a 940B either. That one also has the release on the side.

But that does prove that the other site with a bunch of Hiawatha gun models doesn't have all of them, since the 940B isn't on there.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,361 Posts
Hiawatha is a trade name used by Gamble Skogmo on firearms manufactured for them by Savage. Hiawatha Firearms Co

Since we know their guns were manufactured by Savage/Stevens, a search of Savage single shot shotguns seems to be in order.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I found out my friend has the exact same shotgun, but it's a Cooey Model 84. After a bit more researching, I found out Hiawatha was Marshall Wells Hardware Stores "branded Cooey". My dad actually remembers having a Hiawatha bicycle at some point.

So there we have it. It's a Cooey Model 84 single shot 12 guage, with Hiawatha stamped on the right side instead of Cooey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there everyone! This is my first post, and not the last. I finally decided I needed help with a few of my guns. Whether it be age, price, blah blah blah.

I was cleaning a bunch of my grandpas old guns, which I inherited last year when my grandma passed as well. Among them, is this single shot shotgun.

I can't find a model number on it yet, I didn't open it up completely to look, but there isn't even a model number under the forearm, or under the barrel where it fits into the whole receiver (i apologize if I use any improper terms).

Info I DO have on it.
-Says "Hiawatha" on the side.
-Top of the barrel says "Proof Tested 12 Gauge Full Choke"
-Serial Number is in 54***
-Under butt plate has the number "4819"

I'm not sure if it's 2 3/4 or a 3 inch. A 3 inch fits in the barrel, which it SHOULD'NT if it can't shoot them, but I don't think I will test this unless I have proof its 3 inch. :p

I'll upload pics if necessary, but I found the same gun online with pics, but unfortunately they also did not get any answers on what this gun is.

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/i-have-a-12-gauge-hiawatha-ser12083-update-5348518.html

Thanks all! I may need your help on some other guns as well!
My brother passed away and has the same gun. Did you ever find out what it's worth? I'm in Canada.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts